Chapter 21

Chapter 21

~

"Thoughts are tyrants that return again and again to torment us." -Emily Bronte

~

"So, we're stuck here," Drinian placed a marker on a map in the middle of nowhere, "at half rations with food and water for two more weeks, maximum." I reluctantly stood next to Edmund at the meeting, holding onto the board above me for stabilization as the ship rocked with the ever growing storm. I snuck the occasional side glance at him, and he did the same at me. "This is your last chance to turn back, your Majesties. There's no guarantee we'll spot the Blue Star anytime soon. Not in this storm. Needle in a haystack trying to find this 'Ramandu' place. We could sail right past it and off the edge of the world."

"Or get eaten by a sea serpent," Edmund joked, and I tried to stifle a laugh. He looked at me with a smile, and Caspian glared at us.

"I'm just saying the men are getting nervous. These are strange seas we're sailing. The likes of which I've never seen before," Drinian's voice was almost shakey.

"We can't give up now!" I argued. "Think about all the people whose future's rest on this!"

"But Miss Stinger if we turn back now, we can still save the rest of the crew!"

"They're here by choice! Those people need our help! Caspian, back me up here."

"Then perhaps, captain, you would like to be the one to explain to Mr. Rhince that we're abandoning the search for his family," Caspian added.

"I'll get back to it," Drinian sighed reluctantly. "Just a word of warning, the sea can play nasty tricks on a crew's mind. Very nasty." And with that, he left.

"We can't turn back," I stated once Drinian was gone.

"I know," Caspian agreed. "And we won't."

That night, while I lay in my bed, I couldn't seem to fall asleep. My mind kept wandering back to that morning. I can't believe I kissed him, I thought. He probably thinks I'm nothing more than a friend and I kissed him! I rolled over and groaned at my own stupidity. Then there was an extra weight on my bed, and a hand on my shoulder.

"Oph," Edmund shook me. "Are you awake?"

"No, I'm sleeping peacefully," I replied.

"Will you go for a walk with me?"

"In the pouring rain and splashing seawater, no thanks." I surprised myself with my passive-aggressiveness.

"Then how about you come and talk to me somewhere private. I'm not taking no for an answer."

"Fine," I groaned. I pushed myself out of the hammock and onto my feet. Edmund began walking towards the storage area of the ship.

"Follow me," he whispered, took my hand, and made me move faster than the pace of the exhausted zombie that I was.

"Where are we going?" I asked in a complaining fashion.

"Somewhere no one will be able to hear us," he replied without turning to look at me. He continued to drag me along behind him as we neared the storage unit.

"Why here?" I groaned.

"You ask way too many questions," he chuckled. He then sat down on one of the crates. "Sit," he motioned to the crate next to his. As I sat, I became suddenly self-conscious. My dirty blonde hair was really dirty and ratty from all of the things that had happened recently and the lack of proper hygiene products. The shirt that I had borrowed from Caspian was extremely oversized and not flattering to my body. It had been difficult enough getting used to being around people without makeup to cover the freckles on my face.

"What is it you want to talk to me about?" I sat up as straight as I could so that I didn't look fearful.

"Exactly how drunken were you last night?"

"Why does everyone keep asking me that?!" I threw my hands into the air in frustration. "You people act as though I don't know what I've done!"

"So you weren't that drunk?"

"Of course I wasn't that drunk! I'm not stupid enough to get completely drunk on a boat as it seems Gally is!" I was starting to get angry.

"Gally?-"

"I meant Eustace!" I took a deep breath. "I'm sorry. I just got a little worked up."

"It's okay," he assured. "I need to tell you something, though."

"Is that to tell me that I've made a huge mistake, and that you just want to be friends?" I'd been trying to imagine the conversation of rejection in my head ever since the night before, but I wasn't sure if I could handle it in reality.

"No." He replied shortly, and took my hand in his.

I wasn't certain that I had heard him correctly, but as I processed the new information, all I could manage was, "Oh."

"It's just...I've been wanting to tell you for awhile, but you're always just too... Did the kiss mean anything?" He blurted the last part.

"It means that I like you," I muttered under my breath.

"I didn't catch that," he informed shyly.

"It means that I like you," I said more clearly. He stared at me, wide eyed, for a moment before swiftly moving in to kiss me. I sat completely still as I processed what was happening, and when I did, I kissed him back with force. After a moment, we both drew back and looked away from each other shyly. "So, does this mean we're like a thing now?"

"I'm not sure what that means," he gave me a strange look.

"I'm asking if that meant you're asking me to be your girlfriend."

His face went from the pale, near white it usually was to a bright red in a matter of seconds. "Oh, well, i-if that's okay with you?"

I gave him a smile. "I would be honored to be your girlfriend." I leaned my head onto his shoulder, and he put his arm around me.

"I hope you know that I'm not going to stop bothering you," he informed, and I laughed.

"I wouldn't expect you to." He kissed the top of my head.

"Do you think you can manage to get some sleep now?"

I smiled up at him. "I do believe so."