Chapter 14

Chapter 14

~

"When sorrows come, they come not single spies, but in battalions." -William Shakespeare

~

After we had eaten, I had managed to calm myself down so I could sleep. I lay in my bed breathing slowly. I worried that after what had happened that day, I was going to have nightmares. Pushing that thought aside, I allowed sleep to overtake my mind and my body until blackness overtook my mind.

I drifted into a dream, a dream so real that I thought I had been transported away from the ship. I looked at my surroundings carefully, for I was standing on a small island, a very familiar island. I looked at the wall of wave behind me and realized I was on the edge of the world.

"Hello, child," a deep voice greeted me from behind. I turned to see Aslan standing majestically on the sand.

At that moment, a terrible thought occurred to me. "Am I dead?" I managed, fear running through my body. "Did I die in my sleep?" My voice cracked at the end of my sentence.

"No, young one, but death is the reason you are here," he explained. "I have some terrible news."

I felt my body tense up from my toes to my fingertips. "Wh-what do you mean?"

"Your mother has tragically passed away."

I stopped breathing. "No, no that's not possible. Time doesn't change when you're in Narnia," I argued.

"I'm afraid that that's not always true. You see, everyone's trip to Narnia is different-"

"No!" I felt the anger surge inside me. "My mother is fine! I saw her right before I left, and she promised me she was going to be fine! Sh-she promised!" I cried.

"Ophelia?" A female voice said from behind Aslan. I looked behind him and saw the familiar brown hair and blue eyes.

"Mom," I breathed. "Mom, w-what happened?"

"Alcohol poisoning, sweetie. I lost too much fluid when I was throwing up, and I went into a coma. I only lasted a day," she explained.

I hadn't noticed, but she had been slowly making her way towards me. She pulled me into a hug while I cried. I took in her familiar musty smell with hint of vanilla. It reminded me of home which was where I wanted to be.

"Sweetie, don't be sad. I'm happy now, and I'm finally with your father again," she soothed.

I pulled away to wipe my eyes. "You're with dad? How is he?"

"Ask him yourself," she smiled, and my father came into view. His tall, slim figure was just as I remembered it. His blonde hair that matched mine was cropped short, and his brown eyes were watering at the sight of me.

"My little Ophelia," he beamed. "The last time I saw you, you were this tall." He held his hand about four and a half feet off of the ground.

"Daddy," I cried, and ran towards him, squeezing him in a bone crushing hug, and he wrapped his arms around me in return.

He let go, kneeled down to my level, and took my face into his hands. "I can't believe I'm actually seeing you, it's been so long!"

"I know! I've missed you everyday, and I'll miss you forever more," I sniffled.

"Don't worry, sweetie. Someday you'll join us, and we'll be a proper family again." He said the last part in an english accent.

"Did you just make a Harry Potter reference to try to make me feel better?" I sniffled.

He sighed. "Did it work?"

I gave a small laugh. "I don't know how I'm going to go on knowing that when I get back to earth, I'm going to be an orphan."

"You'll have something in common with your precious Alexander Hamilton then," my mother smiled.

"Well, I'm also young, pretty scrappy, and I'm a little hungry at the moment, so I've got that goin' for me as well," I joked.

"Is there something I'm missing?" Dad asked.

"It's a future thing. I'll explain when I join you guys," I promised.

"Hopefully that's not too soon," my mom said.

"I hope not. I wanna live my life to the fullest," I sighed.

"Ophelia, your time is almost up," Aslan informed me.

"Ophie, before you go, I want you to know that we've always been proud of you," my mom assured. "And I don't want you to mourn us too long, okay? I'm happier than I have been in a long time, so don't be sad."

"Okay, mom," I sobbed.

"Oph, I know my time with you was short lived, but you and your mother are the pride and joy of my life, and I'll love you forever," my father began to tear up.

"I'll love you till my dying days," I gave a little smile.

"You really can't help yourself, can you?" Mom asked.

"Sorry. Once you start, you can't stop."

"Miss Stinger, it's time to return home," Aslan announced.

We group-hugged, and I began sobbing. I walked over to Aslan, and gave one more wave goodbye, for I knew if I were to open my mouth, only sobs would come out.

Blackness consumed my vision once again, and I awoke back in my dark, lonely room with tears streaming down my face.