Chapter 23

Chapter 23

~

"Angry people are not always wise" -Jane Austen

~

I made my way through the cave, and found my own way out. I wandered around the edge of the island until I found where the boats were.

"Ophelia!" Edmund called, and ran over to me. "We were beginning to worry."

"I'm not the one you need to worry about," I replied shortly.

"How's your arm?"

"It feels absolutely fantastic! Thanks for asking." I walked away from him. I had ripped off a part of my shirt and tied it around the wound. It wasn't that deep, but it was enough to be dangerous if infected.

I walked over to Caspian and let him inspect it. "I hate to say it, but if it gets badly infected, we may have to amputate."

I turned towards him, and stuck pointed a finger at him angrily. "If you cut off my arm, I'll cut off your head, got it?"

"Miss Stinger," Drinian stepped between us. "That is no way to address your king!"

"Oh, fuck of, Drinian. Now where's dragon boy?"

"Who?" Caspian narrowed his eyes in confusion

"You will see," I sighed.

"If you're talking about Eustace, we've already tried calling him," Lucy stated.

"That's not going to help you," I shook my head.

"Edmund, I've got a bad feeling," Lucy stated as a rumbling began in the distance.

"I'll go find him," Edmund announced.

"I'll go with you," Caspian offered. Then, the two boys were off.

Fairly soon after, there was a roar that came from in the island. With everyone back on the Dawn Treader we couldn't see it, yet.

"What was that?" Lucy asked.

"That is a dragon," I patted her on the back.

"Archers, arm yourselves!" Drinian ordered.

"Oh don't get your panties in a wad! You don't need to fire at it!" I shouted at him, and he completely ignored me.

Everyone was in panic as Eustace the Dragon soared overhead.

"Wait for my command!" Drinian ordered.

Eustace flailed around unbalanced and landed on the mast. "Fire!" Drinian yelled, and all of the archers fired at him. Eustace began freaking out as arrows were shot his way.

"Eustace! Calm down!" I shouted, and everyone turned to look at me.

"Eustace is dead!" Edmund growled.

I kept my eyes on the dragon. "Are you Eustace?"

The dragon nodded vigorously.

"Do you feel stupid for putting on that bracelet?"

Eustace's head dropped, but he nodded all the same.

I looked over to Caspian. "What happened to 'I'm going to listen to what Ophelia has to say because she knows what's going to happen'?"

He gaped at me, and turned away.

"That's what I thought," I folded my arms.

"You've got to be joking," Edmund sighed once we had returned to shore with Eustace.

"He stole some dragon's treasure, and now he is one."

"Everyone knows that dragon's treasure is enchanted," Caspian said.

Eustace growled.

"Well, anyone from here," Caspian stuttered.

Eustace continually bit and scratched at the gold bracelet around wrist, but it wouldn't come off. Lucy walked towards him, and pulled it off, sending Eustace into a fit of screeching.

"Is there any way we can turn him back?" Edmund asked.

"Not that I know of," Caspian sighed.

"Aunt Alberta will not be pleased," Edmund joked, and Eustace growled in response.

"Sorry about the hand, old boy," Reep apologized. "I can be a little overzealous at times."

"The boats are ready, Sire," Tavros called.

"We can't leave him alone," Lucy stated.

"Well, we can't bring him on board, Your Majesty," Drinian countered.

"Drinian, you and the others take one boat back," Caspian decided. "The rest of us will stay here till morning, and work out what to do."

"But you've no previsions, and no means of staying warm, Your Majesty," Rhince argued.

Eustace lit a long on fire with his breath. "You were saying?" Reep smiled.

Once it got dark, I sat down on a log and drew pictures in the dirt with a stick. I heard someone sit down next to me, and I didn't have to look up to know who it was.

"I'm sorry I sliced your arm," Edmund apologized.

"It's okay. You were under the influence. Of the gold, that is."

"It's not okay. I hurt you, and I would never do that intentionally." He scooted over to where he was right up next to me and nudged me with his body.

"I accept your apology, you big goof."

"That's good because I wasn't sure what I was going to do if you were mad."

"You never mess with a girl when they're mad. Especially if they're mad at you."

"Noted," he smiled.

While we were all by the fire Eustace made, we decided to look at the stars.

"I've never seen these constellations before," commented Edmund.

"Me neither," sighed Caspian. "We're a long way from home."

"Some more than others," I smiled.

"When I was a boy, I used to imagine sailing to the end of the world," Caspian started.

"And Bedtime Stories with Caspian begins," I joked.

He slapped my right arm. "I had always hoped to find my father there."

"Maybe you will," Edmund sighed.

Afterwards, I was sleeping on one side of Gael while Lucy slept on the other.

"I miss my mummy," Gael complained.

"Don't worry," I assured. "We'll find her."

"How do you know?" She turned to me.

"Because I know everything," I taped her nose, and she let out a little laugh.

I heard a muffled conversation off to the side somewhere, so I sat up to see what it was. I looked over to my right to see Reepicheep was telling Eustace about his old pirate gang.

"Aww. Reepie made a new friend!" I called.

He gave me a look of warning for interrupting his story, and continues speaking to Eustace.

And with that, I drifted into sleep.