Chapter 8

Chapter 8

~

"I try to avoid looking forward or backward, and try to keep looking upward." -Charlotte Bronte

~

I lead the two towards the place where Eustace lay resting.

"RISE AND SHINE GREENIE!" I shouted at him. I had promised myself earlier that I was going to make as many eyebrow and Maze Runner jokes as I could before he either killed me or threw a huge fit.

He screamed as he woke. "So this wasn't all a dream?" He asked.

"I'm 'fraid not," I replied.

"I demand to speak with the British Consul immediately about this cruel kidnapping."

"Come on Eusty! We're only having a little fun." I took advantage of the fact that he wasn't 6'3 yet, and picked him up.

"Put me down!" He complained.

"Aye aye, eyebrows!" I dropped him straight onto him bum.

"OW!" He screeched while I didn't even try to suppress my laugh. "I'm going back downstairs to take a nap, and, hopefully, when I return, all of this will become nothing more than a nightmare!"

"You have fun with that!" I called after him.

"What was that all about?" Edmund asked me with a confused look on his face.

"I'm simply taking advantage of the time before he's 6'3. I suggest the two of you do the same." I replied matter-of-factly. "Now how would you guys like to see my room?"

"Sure!" Lucy replied enthusiastically.

I lead them down to where I stayed, which was right next to Caspian's quarters.

"Home, sweet home," I sighed. "As of now, at least."

The two looked around with a mix of amazement and confusion on their faces.

"What's this?" Edmund asked as he held my phone in the air.

"It's a phone." I replied.

"How does it work?" He shook it next to his ear.

"I'll show you." I took it from his hand, and held it right in front of his eyes. Then, i turned it on.

"Ahhh!" He gasped then rubbed his eyes. Lucy and I almost fell to the floor laughing. "What the bloody hell?!"

"That's what lies ahead in the future," I stated.

"The future sounds awful!" Edmund continued to rub his eyes.

"So how does that phone work? Where are the wires? How is it so small?" Lucy bombarded me with questions, so I held up my hand in response.

"I'm really not 100% sure how the phone works, it sends wireless signals to satellites in the sky instead of having wires, and it's that small because that's how it was made." I sighed. "I'm certain that if I were to lose this thing, I would go insane from meme deprivation."

"What's a meme?" Edmund asked, furrowing his brow.

I gasped. "A meme is the internet's way of saying it loves us. It's a picture with funny words on it. I'll show you." I pulled out my phone, and typed in my password. I went to my saved pictures from Tumblr, and pulled up one about Hamilton that had a picture of a ten dollar bill and a one dollar bill next to each other with the caption: "HERE COMES THE GENERAL AND HIS RIGHT HAND MAN!" I began to giggle, and the other two looked at me funny.

"I don't get it," Lucy commented.

"Neither do I," Edmund reiterated.

"What do they teach you in your fancy British schools about the American Revolution?!" I waved my hands around dramatically.

"That we lost," Edmund replied bluntly.

I laughed at him before saying, "That's really all I remember learning about, but this awesome show by Lin-Manuel Miranda started up called Hamilton, and now I have an intensely specific knowledge of Alexander Hamilton's life."

"You watched a play about the American Revolution for fun?" Edmund furrowed his eyebrows.

"First of all, not a play a musical. And, second, stop furrowing your eyebrows; you're starting to look like Gally-- I mean Eustace."

"Why do you keep calling him that?" Lucy asked.

"Let's see if I can show you," I walked over to my bookshelf, and pulled The Maze Runner from it after a few moments of searching. I flipped to the glossy movie pictures that were located in the centre of the book, and showed them the one that said 'Gally Will Poulter' under it. "That's what you have to look forward to."

"He looks just like Eustace in the face!" Lucy exclaimed.

"You guys really don't get it, do you," I sighed.

"Get what?" They both asked.

"The reason I know who you both are."

"I was wondering about that," Edmund replied.

"Well, you guys are books in the future, and also movies." I paused to think. "Ugh! How do I explain this?" I walked over to the bookshelf a second time, and pulled out seven books. The books that were going to help me explain this. I threw them on my bed. "This is one of the things that helped me know. The movies helped more though. It's almost a direct following!"

"Are you saying we're a movie?" Lucy asked cautiously.

"I think I have a picture on my phone of the cast somewhere. Let me check." I whipped out my phone and searched through the pictures until I found one of the pictures of the cast. "Here, have a look." I held my phone parallel to the ground out in front of me, and the two of them leaned over to see.

"They look just like us!" Lucy gasped.

"How is this possible?" Edmund asked.

"I'm not sure. Didn't think that this was possible until now-" I was cut off by Caspian bursting into the room.

"We need your help with Eustace. We don't know what to do with him." Caspian informed.

"This should be interesting," I sighed before I walked out of the room with the two Pevensies right behind me.