Chapter 13

Chapter 13

~

"I can't go back to yesterday-- because I was a different person then." -Lewis Carroll

~

We all arrived safe and sound onto our ship, and Edmund quickly ran off with his sword. For some reason, I was sad to see him go.

Oh hell no, I thought to myself. Feelings, you are going to go sit in a corner and not do anything because I swear if I start liking Edmund, I'll never forgive you. I then realized I was threatening myself. It was at that point that I also realized I had been staring in his direction from where I was seated by the edge of the ship to where he was using a knife to get the crusty stuff off of his new sword. He looked up at me and gave a little smile and a wave. Shit.

I stood and walked towards Caspian's quarters quickly. Once i had reached my destination, I knocked on the door.

"Edmund, I already told you I don't know how to get the gunk off the sword-" he stopped when he opened the door. "Oh, Ophelia. Come in."

I walked into his room, and sat down in the chair next to his desk. "I request my sword," I stated.

"And so you shall have it, your majesty," he gave a shallow bow, and walked over to his dresser to fetch my sword.

"So, if I'm like your sister, then am I technically a princess?" I wondered.

"I don't think that counts," he answered.

"That's too bad. I would've made a bitchin' princess."

"I'm not even sure what that means, but I'm sure it's true." He turned towards me and handed me a large, pointy, shiny sword.

"Gracias!" I smiled, then flew out the room. On my way out, I ran right into Lucy.

"Oh, I'm sorry," she apologized frantically.

"It was my fault," I assured. "I should have been paying better attention."

She looked down at the sword in my hand. "Is that the sword you requested?"

"Yeah," I remembered that she wasn't on the boat with me, for she was on a boat with Drinian, Reep, and Eustace. "How'd you find out about that?"

"Edmund was telling me about it. Apparently you have quite the attitude."

I shrugged. "They weren't being reasonable, so I put 'em in line."

"I guess you're a lot different that I made you out to be."

"We haven't spent that much time together. You wanna hang out later?"

"Um, sure! I just have to give Caspian something then I'll be right out."

I waited for a moment as she entered Caspian's chambers with a document from Drinian who was currently busy steering the ship. She quickly exited. "Aright, what did you have in mind?"

"I'm not sure. This was kinda a spur of the moment thing," I shrugged.

"We could go see what Reepicheep is up to?" She suggested.

"I think he's helping Drinian steer at the moment."

We stood in silence and thought for a moment until Lucy perked up. "You have that phone thing. We could do something with that!"

"Yeah. I could play some music while we look at all of the old books I have."

"That sounds fun!"

"Definitely better than just standing around." We walked across the ship and to my room. Along the way, I caught Edmund's eye as he continued to clean his sword causing me to blush and look away.

Once we reached my room, I flopped down backwards onto my bed, and Lucy sat next to me. I picked up my nearly useless phone, and hit shuffle in my music.

"She's an American beauty,

"I'm an American psycho.

"She's an American beauty,

"I'm an American-

"I'm an American-

"American psycho" My phone sang.

"Sometimes I wonder what goes on across the sea in America, but now I'm not certain I want to know," Lucy commented.

"I always thought that it was my destiny to someday move to England," I smiled.

"Really? Everyone at home always talks about how exciting it would be to visit the States."

"Well, I lived in a boring part of the country called Missouri." I looked over to my bookshelf. "I think I might have some proof to as how boring it was." I walked over to the shelf and pulled out a black leather photo album from my childhood. I flipped through the pages until I found one of my family. "This was average life for me."

Lucy examined the picture. "Who are those two?" She asked, pointing at the man and woman standing behind me.

"Those are my parents," I answered, and felt tears coming to my eyes.

"Are you alright?"

"Yeah, it's just I miss them." I sat back down on my bed. "I've had all of the sadness bottled up inside me since I left."

"Well, maybe it would be good to get it out," Lucy suggested.

I took a deep breath. "Well, my dad died when I was only twelve, and even then I never got to see him much. He was in the military and fought in Afghanistan. My mom was never the same afterwards. Long periods of either happiness or sadness, and I didn't know what to do. I drifted away from my friends, and relied on the only person who was ever there for me until he turned on me too!" I was full on crying at that point. "The day I accidentally found Narnia, my mother was rushed away to the hospital after coming home so drunk that she was throwing up everywhere. She was rushed to the hospital, and made me stay home to look after things promising that she was going to be okay. It's been six months, six full months since I talked to her, and I've been surviving on the hope that she was perfectly fine and when I get home, she'll be there standing with open arms at home perfectly fine."

"I'm surprised you've never mentioned it before," Lucy soothed after a moment to take in everything I had said.

"I thought that if I thought about it too much, that I would convince myself that she wasn't okay, but not knowing has been worse than I ever thought it could be."

Lucy opened her mouth to reply when Edmund burst through the door. He was taken back by the sight of me crying. "Um, Caspian, uh, wanted me t-to tell you all that the food is ready." He closed the door and left.

I stood and brushed myself off. "Well, I guess we'd better be going."

"I-yeah, let's go," Lucy agreed.

"Allons-y" I sighed, wiped my eyes, and left for food.