Chapter 23

Willow P.O.V. 

       I opened my eyes and saw darkness. It took a few minutes for my surroundings to set in, and my confusion to clear but when it did I was livid. As my eyes adjusted to the darkness I saw that I was lying on a bed in an unfamiliar room. I got up and looked around to see where I was, and if there was a way I could get out. I choose not to leave when I had the chance when I was with Lucas for a reason. I didn't want him to get hurt, but it's not like I had no regard for my own safety.  I was usually run by emotion, and I knew that I should be terrified. However, I was calm and my mind was clear. 

       I knew that the woman who I had faked being my mother for long was dangerous. The facts were simple. Many years ago she got upset and stole a kid for some sick form of revenge. Then more recently she had pulled a gun on two teenagers. She had kept her secret from me for so long, and I doubted that she would risk letting it get out. I was basically her replacement daughter, and I knew she had to have loved me. Otherwise  she would have just killed me. Still that didn't mean she wouldn't hurt me, my head was proof of that. 

       I looked around the room once more. There was a dresser set against the wall across from the bed, and after further inspection I found that it was empty. there was one door in the room. pale light seeped into the room from underneath. I walked over and tried to open the door, but to my dismay I found that I couldn't open it. Beside the door I saw a light-switch, so I turned it on. Bright light flooded into the room and I found myself being momentarily blinded. 

       I gave the room another look and realized that there as another door. That one opened up to a bathroom. I turned on the light in there and looked around. The bathroom was pretty small. There was a sink with a mirror above it, a toilet, and a small shower. I looked at my reflection and recoiled in shock. I looked absolutely terrible! Dried blood was smeared across my face and my hair was a tangled mess. My eyes were also sort of bloodshot. 

       The sink looked pretty gross, as did everything else, but I tried to turn it on anyway so I could wash my face. It didn't work though. I huffed in frustration and tried the shower. It didn't work either. I walked back into the room and inspected the other door. There wasn't any lock, so I figured that something must be blocking it from the other side. 

       I laid on the dirty floor and peeked at the bottom of the door. I saw more carpet and what looked like chair legs. I tried to push open the door again, but it wouldn't budge. Then I heard someone on the other side mutter, "Whaz tha noise?" All at once a plan formed in my head, and I jumped back into the bed.

       I noticed how awful it looked and smelled after I laid down, but I just ignored it. I heard Gothel come to the bedroom's door and remove the chair. Then she opened it up and staggered into the room. She came close and poked my face. "Are yoush awakesyet?" She smelled like she took a bath in alcohol. I nearly smiled when I realized she was drunk. I surprised her by jumping out of the bed and pushing her away.

       She fell to the floor and I ran out of the room. Remembering the chair earlier, I quickly slammed the door shut and replaced it. Then I decided to look around before leaving. If I found anything that could help me, then I'd take it. I had no qualms about taking things from a woman who took away my childhood. I saw that the room I had walked into was sorta dingy and it served as like a front room sort of place. 

       It had a door with a lock on it that I figured must lead outside. By the door there was a window. In the area there was also a mini fridge, a microwave, a couch, and a television. Across the room I just walked out from there was another room. It had a bed and a bathroom. This room looked more lived in though. Gothel had a suitcase full of clothes spilled onto the floor in one corner and a pocketbook sitting on a dresser in the room.

       The bathroom was a lot cleaner and everything worked, so I decided that I would clean up before leaving. I grabbed a pair of jeans and a shirt out of her suitcase and went into the bathroom. After quickly changing and washing my face I brushed out my hair with a brush I found lying around and braided it. Then I walked back into the room and went through Gothel's handbag. I felt a little bad for taking the money out of her wallet, and her car keys but I reasoned that I would need them. Then I heard Gothel start banging on the door and yelling to be let out. I raced out of her room and made my way to leave, but I tripped on a glass bottle and fell to the floor.

       I let out gasp as air was knocked out of me. Then I checked myself over for injuries. I seemed fine, but I banged up my knee. I was sure I'd have bruises from my fall later on. Just as I started to get to my feet I heard the chair give away and clatter to the ground. Gothel burst through the bedroom door and I ran towards the exit. I should've had the advantage because she was drunk, but now she was an angry drunk. I went to the door, and found to my dismay that it was locked.

       As I stood there quickly thinking over what I could do, she picked up a unopened bottle of alcohol and threw it at me. Luckily, she missed. It sailed right through the window and gave me a way to get out.