Chapter 12

Mother didn't hesitate before telling the man who I was. However, she wasn't very truthful about it for some reason. In a hurried voice she said, "Oh that's no one. Just my friend's kid who needs a place to stay until she gets back from a work trip." The blatant lie was accepted by the mysterious stranger, but not me. Why would she lie about who I am? I'm her daughter! Not her friend's kid that needed a place to stay! At that I almost threw open the door and told her what I thought about the lie, but I stopped myself. 

       I was in enough trouble already. At least mother didn't know I was snooping around in her room. As an akward conversation started up between the strange, that I now realized was probably mother's ex-husband, I sat on my bed. As I awaited mother's wrath, that would surely climb up my stairs any moment, I thought over what I had learned. 

       My mother had another daughter, and divorced her husband. It was a nasty divorce, and mother never gets to see Ruth, the sister I never knew existed. My mother has lied to me my whole life, but I'm sure she has a reason. Anywhere then there is the mystery of the lawyers. I wondered why they were so important to mother that she had to keep the newspaper clipping with them in it. I groaned and rubbed my eyes. Life is to confusing sometimes. 

       After a few minutes mother barged into my room. A look of pure hatred was set upon her face, and every thing about her looked angry. I took a deep breath and waited to see which one of us would talk first. Seeing as she was just standing at the top of my steps glaring at me, I decided to break the tense silence that had entered the room.

       "Mother," I started. My voice felt like an unwanted stranger. "I know you are upset, but I am too," at this mother crossed her arms and gave me a look filled with frustrating disbelief, "I want to know why you lied about me. I'm your daughter, and I want to know. What are you hiding from me?" A worried look passed over mother's face in an instant, but anger soon replaced it.

       "You think I should explain myself to you? I'm disappointed. You misbehaved by coming out, and now you dare question me? I told you this man wasn't someone you needed to meet earlier!" I looked down to the floor and crossed my arms. Then I took a deep breath and looked up to meet my mother's icy gaze. 

       Gathering my courage I replied in an unwavering voice, "Yes mother. I do. Contrary to your belief, I deserve some answers. So tell me, why did you want that man to think I wasn't your daughter?" Mother gulped and stared me down. As if that would make me take back what I had said. I met her glare with my own, and she relented.

       "He's just a guy I met in a bar, and he doesn't like kids," she said unconvincingly. I didn't see why that would make her lie about me, but I didn't press the issue any further. There wasn't any point. I wanted answers, but I realized mother wasn't going to tell me anytime soon. While I was contemplating mother's excuse she spoke up again. "Anyway, now you have not only disobeyed me, but you have talked back too. I can't let that go. You need to learn a lesson, so your grounded until your birthday."

       I started to protest but mother blocked my attempts, "I don't care that you think it's unfair. You are not allowed to leave your room except for at breakfast, lunch, and dinner. All of which I will make sure to be here for," mother concluded. I narrowed my brows before realizing that while mother was at work I could just keep doing what I had been. She wouldn't be home to make sure I stayed in my room. Mother must have noted the rebellious glint that twinkled in my eyes because she said, "Oh and don't think about trying to leave your room. After all, I'll be locking the door." 

       With that, mother all but ran out of the room. She slammed the door behind her, and I heard the lock click. I narrowed my eyes as I imagined the self satisfied smirk that had most likely just set itself upon mother's face. This was hardly fair. I shook my head and looked out of my bedroom window. It looks like Rapunzel wasn't the only girl with long hair to be locked in a tower.