“And instead of asking me, you just drag me out here and expect me to play along?” I sighed. “I thought we were past this kind of thing, Eros.”

“You’d have said no,” he explained, holding open a door for me, “to spare good old Simon. This way, he can’t be too mad, because you didn’t plan this ahead or anything. And you didn’t have enough time to process it and throw a scene.”

“So you were counting on my stupidity and slowness of thought?” I asked, smiling a little. “Great plan.”

He shrugged. “It worked, didn’t it?”

We were at his car now – a sleek black Volvo. He obviously expected me to compliment him on his taste or something, so of course I just walked over to the passenger side, yanked open the door and sat down with crossed arms. He quickly got in too, his feelings kept carefully in check.

“You’re not gonna run screaming?” he asked while he started the car.

“No,” I replied lightly. “But I get to ask any question I want today, okay? Anything I want to know, you have to tell me.” If I wanted to figure out how I felt about Eros, the only way to do so would be to ask him about the most horrible things he’d done, and see if the knowledge made me feel revulsion or just the same attraction I was currently experiencing. I wouldn’t be able to delve into it with Simon keeping a close watch, but at least I’d have something to think about for when I finally managed to shut Simon out.

“But it’s almost an hour both ways,” Eros argued. “You don’t have two hour’s worth of questions.”

“Oh, I sure do,” I disagreed. “Now, where to start… Oh, I know. What happened the night Sheila picked up your phone?”

“Nothing, she just picked it up,” Eros murmured, not looking at me. “And I got a little mad.”

“If you don’t want me to tell your mother that I’m just a pretend girlfriend, you have to do better than that,” I told him sternly. “What was she doing that she was in a position to answer your phone?” I was very much ready to hear about him having sex with her using mind control.

“We were on my bed,” he said, confirming my suspicions. “Talking.”

“Talking?” I repeated skeptically.

Eros looked in his rearview mirror while leaving the parking lot. “Yeah, and then my mother called, I got mad, smashed a lamp against the wall and told her to get the hell out.”

I had to admit: that was a surprise to me. “Why did you smash a lamp? Is it really that bad that she answered your phone?”

“No,” he replied through gritted teeth. He was contemplating whether or not to tell me something and decided to just go ahead. “You had your first kiss with Simon and that just made me snap.”

“Oh,” I breathed. “I see. Another question then… tell me about the time you broke your stepdad’s car.”

He inhaled sharply. “How do you know about that?”

“You told me when you explained about your episodes, remember?”

“Right,” he realized. “Well… I took a baseball bat, went outside in the dead of night in nothing but my boxer shorts and just went at it until all the windows were broken and my hands were bleeding.”

“Why did you do it?” I asked softly.

“I don’t know… He’d told me during dinner that he’d like me to call him dad and I just flipped.” Eros’ feelings were getting darker, his sinister aura filling up the entire car – at least, it felt like it was suffocating me. “First he married my mom, made me move out of my old home, got rid of my dad’s old stuff and then… then he just tried to take his place… I snapped.”