Back Home

Matthew, youngest son of Adam Spencer, had come back for summer from studying music in New York. He was a very skilled pianist.  His mom welcomed him home with a cake and hugs.

    "Matt!! How are you? I missed you so much!"

  Camille screamed in high pitch voice as she threw herself in his arms. He was taller than her, and a bit shy about her emotional welcome, he bent over toward her with a shy smile. She kissed him on the cheeks repeatedly like the proud mom she was.

  "Mom, you are embarrassing me. I'm not a baby anymore."
  "Oh quiet. You are still my baby!"

  Matt glanced around at the driveway. The line of solitary square-like houses in ordinary peach and pastel blue colors welcomed him. His father wasn't home from work yet. It was midday and like most working neighbors, he would not be home until late evening. He grew red when he spotted Mrs. Thompson standing her dog across the street, watching them.  So he grasped his mom's shoulders and pulled her softly into the house.

  "Come on, mom. Let's go inside."
  "Yes! I bet you are tired. Have you eaten today? You must be starving! That airplane food is awful!"

  Camille hurried to open the door while he was pulling his huge luggage in, along with a duffel bag on his shoulder.  The sun began to burn lightly as usual in Piedmont, California.

  Matt took a deep breath after pulling in his heavy luggage. A sigh of relief after staring at the wooden floor in his home. He slid off his duffel bag, laid it next to his luggage, and bent over to take off his shoes.  Before he could stand up again, he saw his mom coming back with a chocolate cake and a lit candle.

  "Mom... what did you do?" He chuckled.
  "It's your favorite... rum cake."

    Matthew smiled and somehow touched by his mom's sweet gesture, he rolled his eyes before bending over and blow the candle with a smile.

  "Welcome home sunshine!" She said in a softer voice.
  "Thanks mom."
  "You are welcome! Now come to the kitchen to eat something decent."

She turned away with the cake in hand and walked back into the kitchen. He ran his hand through his silky brown hair, chuckling at how happy his mother was.  Slowly he followed her with his hands in his hoodie. He just hadn't a clue what other surprise she had.

  Once in the kitchen, he looked around. Everything looked the same. Light wooden cabinets, the side window that overlooked the city, and once getting closer to the window, his mom's garden.  Camille was already putting on a plate a few meatballs with her tasty tomato sauce. He knew the flavor very well...

  "Sit down Matt! At least today let me spoil you."
  "Ok mom..."

  He grinned and obeyed. Taking a chair, he sat in his favorite spot, next to the window where the back door hallway to the garage was located.

  "I hope you like them. How is school?"
  "Thanks mom!"

  In truth he really was hungry. The vapor of just made meatballs with fresh chopped tomatoes, pepper, onion, and a bit of garlic went up his nostrils.

  He closed his eyes sniffing in while his hands rested on the blue placemat. Camille watched him pleased, and ruffled his hair. He snapped off his trance looking at the plate, waiting for her to stop.