08

The cobblestone sidewalk shook slightly underneath every step Beau took. Rosalie was beside him, their hands tangled together as they heard the sound of struggle a few feet away. Followed by the familiar enticing smell of a vampire. Hopefully, the one they were looking for.

A human male was pressed into the wall, his eyes wide as a male almost twice his size was leaning atop of him. The human was sluggishly fighting the man as the blood was drained slowly from his body.

Sharing a look with Rosalie, Beau cleared his throat once. Instantly, Garrett lifted his face upwards from his hosts neck, scarlet eyes peering over at Rosalie and Beau curiously. As if not caring about the human who had served as his meal, Garett let the man go and stepped over his limp body to greet them from a closer range.

In the glow from the streetlight, Beau could see that Garrett was dressed in some kind of uniform. The types of uniforms you saw soldiers wear in history textbooks.

"Rosalie," Garrett said, a gentle smile grazing his lips as he recognized Carlisle's blonde adoptive daughter. "Long time, no see."

Rosalie smiled softly, "It's always a pleasure to see you Garrett,"

"Who do we have here?" Garrett asked, turning his gaze to look at Beau. He stuck out his hand then, pale with slender fingers. "I'm Garrett."

"Beau," Beau said, giving the other vampire a firm handshake.

"Rosalie's mate I assume?"

"Correct," Beau said, tightening his grip on Rosalie's hand and noticing the soft smile that ghosted across Rosalie's face as he confirmed their relationship with each other. Garrett noticed the blonde's soft expression and his smile become slightly broader.

"What brings you here to me?" Garrett asked, finally noticing that they had something to discuss. Then the vampire's face grew worried for a moment, "Is everything alright with Carlisle?"

"Psychically, yes," Rosalie said, her eyes going distant. "The Volturi, they've come upon our family."

Anger flashed through Garrett's eyes, "What have they done?"

"It's a misunderstanding," Beau said, trying to ease the man. "They think we've created an immortal child."

"An immortal child?" Garrett hissed, eyebrows drawing together. "Carlisle would never do such a thing. Why would the Volterra think that of him?"

"My niece is half human and half vampire," Beau said, watching Garrett's face. "They believe that she is immortal due to faulty sources. Hence, why they're wanting to kill her."

"Impossible,"

"No," Beau said, cutting of Garrett's dismissal. "Not impossible, just uncommon. My sister carried my niece full term while she was human. Her father is Edward Cullen, I believe you've heard of him?"

When Garrett nodded, Rosalie continued. "Irina of the Denali's saw Renesmee and ran off before Bella could explain the situation. She told the Volterra that Renesmee was immortal, and now they're coming for us,"

"Not just the guard," Beau said aid, his jaw straining tight. "Aro, Caius, Marcus. Even the wives."

Shock glazed over Garrett's eyes, he then repeated his words from before, "Impossible,"

"I would have said the same two days ago," Rosalie said.

Garrett scowled, and when he spoke it was nearly a growl. "But that doesn't make any sense. Why would they put themselves and the wives in danger?"