07

"Uncle Beau?"

"Hmm?"

"It's cold,"

At Renesmee's words, Beau felt his face turn up with amusement. The tiny girl was bundled against him, her head in the crook of his neck. With one arm, Beau was carrying her effortlessly through the snow alongside Bella and Jacob. His niece was humming softly underneath her breath in a soft staccato, taking a break every few seconds from her song to let out an exasperated sigh.

"That's because you decided to wear nothing but a cardigan," Beau said, touching the grey material that was covering Renesmee's body.

"It's my favorite," Was Renesmee's reply.

"Doesn't mean you wear it everywhere. Especially not in the snow," Beau said, and he heard Bella gently huff with laughter at their conversation.

"Your mother needs to dress you better," Beau said, side-eyeing his sister.

"She'll be aloud to wear whatever she wants," Bella replied, stopping along with Jacob. Beau quickly placed an excited Renesmee down onto the snow. Watching as the small girl galloped around in the snow underneath Jacob's watchful gaze.

"You know I'm all for freedom of expression," Beau said, as he bumped his shoulder with Bella's. "But you know how cold it is for humans."

"She half-human," Was Bella's reply, making Beau roll his eyes. "Plus, she's fine."

The two siblings fell into silence as they watched Renesmee prance around in the snow. Her bountiful leaps making her bronze curls fall against her back. She was giggling brightly, straight teeth gleaming whiter than the snow on her boots.

With another leap, Renesmee left the ground. Her arm outstretched as a snowflake fell neatly into her awaiting palm. Once the flake touched her palm, it stayed for a few moments before melting as the young girl moved to catch more.

As Renesmee moved to speak to Bella, Beau caught the soft lilac scent of a nearby vampire. Lifting his head, Beau watched as a beautiful blonde eyed them from her spot on a cliffside a mile away. Her face was set into a scowl, golden eyes intently staring down Renesmee's jumping body.

"Irina," Bella whispered softly, eyeing the blonde Denali vampire as well.

Beau watched Irina's top lip quiver at hearing Bella address her. He opened his mouth next, speaking outwards towards the Denali. "Irina!"

Instead of answering, Irina turned around and disappeared into the snowy foliage behind herself. Sharing a brief glance with Bella, Beau ran towards where the Denali had once stood. Once he was standing on the cliff, he listened for Irina's footsteps. Trying to gage a direction to where she could've gone but got nothing but a fading floral smell.

Beau glanced back towards his family and Jacob, shaking his head at Bella's confused  expression. His sister frowned slightly, and Beau quickly made his way back down to the field where his niece continued to play.

"What did she want?" Bella asked, grabbing onto the hand Renesmee placed into hers.

"She ran off before I could ask," Beau replied, frowning slightly. "Do you think she wanted something?"

"Maybe," Bella said, before scooping up Renesmee into her arms. Her daughter straddling her hip and resting her head in the crook of Bella's neck contently. "If it's important she'll make contact with Carlisle."

"Suppose so," Beau agreed, before turning and gently pinching Renesmee's cheek. "Ready to go?"

Renesmee nodded her head, a faint pink dusting her cheeks. The four of them walked in silence, enjoying the soft peace of the moment. The house was gently lit by fairy lights as they walked closer, it being Alice's handiwork. Beau would've complained about the lights if Renesmee weren't so in love with them.

Opening the front door, Bella placed Renesmee down onto the mat to wipe off her snow covered shoes. Beau motioned for his sister to go talk to Edward about Irina, and helped Renesmee unbutton her coat.