03

"I'm glad you came,"

Beau watched from the doorway of the living room as Jacob moved closer to see Bella's body on the couch. Rosalie, who was perched in between the werewolf and the human, gave Jacob a dark look and made no attempt to move in order to have Jacob see Bella better.

Moving closer, Jacob was derailed by Rosalie. "Close enough,"

"What's you're problem?" Jacob asked, voice strained like he knew something was wrong. Beau felt guilt well inside of himself, knowing that he'd held Jacob underneath the impression that Bella was going to die.

"It's okay Rose," Bella said, voice frail from behind the blonde.

Slowly, Rosalie shot Jacob another dark look before moving away.

Beau winced softly at Bella's face. Her pale skin was plastered to her cheek bones, dark purple bags lurked underneath her eyes. In order to hide her engorged belly, his sister had a multicolored quilt covering herself.

"You look terrible," Jacob said jokingly, trying to keep the mood light.

Bella nodded, smiling softly, "Yeah, it's nice to see you too,"

"So are you gonna tell me what's wrong with you?" Jacob asked, flicking his eyes up to Beau's face. "Your brother over there had me underneath the impression that you were dead."

Flicking her eyes upwards, Bella gave Beau a faint amused smile. Beau didn't return the gesture, only tensed slightly. Rosalie caught the movement, her frown deepening.

After removing her eyes from Beau, Bella looked over at Rosalie. "Rose, you wanna help me up?"

Rosalie was quick to grab Bella's arm gently, moving slowly to that Bella could find her footing. As she removed herself from the nest of blankets, Beau saw the dark bruises that were lining his sister's swollen stomach. Jacob noticed as well, and his eyes flashed with fury.

"You did this!" Jacob snarled, moving towards Edward with a dark look.

Emmett caught the werewolf on the shoulder, his large hand swallowing the leather junction of Jacob's jacket easily. Jacob hissed like Emmett's touch burned him, swatting it away as Carlisle spoke.

"We didn't even know it was possible,"

Looking over his shoulder, Jacob asked, "What is it?"

"I'm not sure. Needles won't penetrate the embryo sack," Carlisle said, voice soft.

"I can't see it either," Alice said, tiny body stepping into view beside Beau at the doorway. "And I can't see Bella's future anymore."

"I've been researching legends but there isn't much to go on," Carlisle said, "What we do know is that it's strong and fast growing."

"Why haven't you done anything? Take it out of her," Jacob insisted, leveling them all with a look that implied they were crazy for not thinking of what he did sooner.

"This is none of your business dog," Rosalie snapped, black eyes glazed with anger.

"Rose," Esme chided, frowning from her spot beside Carlisle. "All this fighting isn't good for Bella."

"The fetus isn't good for Bella," Beau replied, stepping into the conversation.

"It's a baby," Rosalie snapped, glaring at Beau. "Say the word Beau."

"It's not a baby," Beau replied, shoulders tense. "It's killing my sister, Rose."

"Possibly," Rosalie said, tone even more aggravated.