[ viii. ]

A grin was plastered across his face as he placed a hardcover book on his bed, proudness seeping through him.

        After many hours without moving from his position, with the occasional bathroom breaks, he completed his task.

        Lucas was never the book person but it was something about this particular book. He could admit, when he attempted reading others, he'd pass it up after the first chapter but this was different.

        Romance should have been his choice the previous times. A knock removed him from his thoughts. As he sat up on his bed, he called out a "come in."

        The door opened and entered his mother. Immediately he noticed a change in her appearance. Instead of her brown hair he had grown used to over the past four years, she had been sporting her natural blonde.

        "How come the sudden change?" He asked as she positioned herself beside him. She seemed happier than usual but it was nothing wrong with that.

        She shrugged, rubbing her palms against her favorite denim jeans. "Thought it was time to return to my roots."

        He nodded, understanding. As much as he loved the brown on her, he loved her natural texture more.

        She turned toward him, ruffling his hair playfully, "I have something for you, come with me." She stood up quickly, departing out the room in seconds. Lucas stood from his bed and retraced her steps until he was standing in the center of the small living room.

        Her back was facing him as she dug through her purse, in search for something. He wanted to tell her she didn't have to get him anything considering she seems to come back every week with a present for him.

        As much as he loved her presents, he preferred if she spent her hard earned money on herself because she deserved it and more.

        He watched her come in millions of times, tired from her job. Being an assistant for well known business, you would think she'd be sitting at a desk all day answering phones and organizing paperwork but that was an understatement.

        Moments later she spun around with her hand reached out towards him. In her hand was a crisp envelope with his name scribbled across in cursive.

        "Open, come on." She reached for his hand and shoved the envelope in it. She had the brightest smile as she seated herself on the couch, waiting for him to look inside.

        He took a seat across from her, not sure if she should open it or not. What could she have gotten him this time?

        He could feel her eyes watching him and he knew if he didn't open it soon, she would do it for him. Hesitant, Lucas opened the letter in a slow manner and pulled out what seemed to be tickets.

        Lucas read each and dropped them on the hardwood floor. He immediately looked up at his mother and he didn't know how to react. Of all things, this was the least expected. He thought she had bought him the world before but this was much more.

        She leaned into the couch,"I thought it was about time you had your first trip, don't you think?" a smile lingered on her lips as her son remained speechless and she couldn't help but think this was the best gift she had gotten him.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

Short chapter. I decided to update real quick. I honestly want to update quicker but I can't at the moment. I'm super busy with this being my last year of high school, it comes with a lot of responsibility and boy I wasn't prepared. With class work, graduation requirements, and a internship program I signed up for, I'm busy as ever but I want to try to upload once a week at least. I think I can handle that. Also if anyone noticed, I unpublished some books and it's because I can't handle them at the moment. This will be my main focus and when this is over, I'll start something else. Anyways, please leave feedback. I love you all.