The Creature in the Woods (by Nicoletta) {School Writing Assignment}

Start from the beginning

Nikki took a single step forward, then stuttered, "H-hello?"

The creature turned its head around, revealing its reptilian-like head. Two long antennae having the width of a quarter stuck out of its head, possibly for hearing. Two catlike eyes were placed on each side of its head, which narrow pupils in the center. Its iris was entirely petunia purple. Its thin layer of skin was dark olive green, having this creature's benefit to be camouflage, especially on a night without a signal glow of the moon. One of the most noticeable parts on the creature was its massive and mighty claws--twice the size of Nikki's hands--that seemed to be able to slice any solid into pieces in the matter of seconds. This made a shiver roll down her spine. Its long legs also had the same feature with its arm; its skinny bones were almost seen from its thin, olive green flesh. The creature's feet, however, were similar to its claws, but they were a bit more narrow. Its body seemed to resemble a human, although, the creature was about a mere few inches taller than Nikki, still making it, of course, inhuman.

The creature continued to glare at the young woman, eagerly waiting for what she will respond with. It knew that she was speechless. This was not the first time a person ventured off into this woodland to find it. But what amazed the creature was instead of sprinting away in fear and regret, she stayed. Unlike the others, she was brave. Its glare softened, now turning into a gaze. A confident gaze.

Knowing that she got its attention, she continued on in her usual polite tone. It was not unusual at all to be speaking this way to a monster. "I'm sorry to be bothering you late this night, but I've heard many tales about you and I wanted to see if you truly exist." She paused for a second, deciding on what to say next. "Um, if you don't mind, could I write about you so I could explain to everyone about my discovery?" Nikki quickly opened her bag from a strap, then lifted a medium sized journal and a sharpened pencil.

Enragement filled the creature's body. Its jagged teeth stuck out, sending off a form of snarl towards Nikki. The sound coming from it startled her, causing her to drop both object onto the ground, creating a familiar sound. Just like the one from the twig, however, this was more louder and echoed more freely throughout the forest. Flocks of birds rapidly flew from the trees from the alarming sound.

"Sorry," she apologized immediately. "I just wanted...to know more about you." She bent down, grabbed her notebook and pencil, then placed them carefully inside her bag. "Well, i guess it was great to finally see you. Goodbye."

Nikki turned her back, then took a step forward, but was frightened by a recall.

"Wait!" Nikki swung her head back, her jaw slightly dropping as she looked at the creature. It had spoken.

From the little research available from articles on the internet to short novels of someone's experience, nothing stated that this creature was able to speak, only making certain noises such as growling and snarling. Amazement surrounded Nikki from head to toe, however, the expression on her face could not prove it.

When she looked at the creature, she noticed it was standing up--on two legs--and in a halting position like a traffic director. It panted a bit, releasing a bit of panic towards her. It thought he had done it, but it inside of itself caused a major leak in its control. Losing its temper like that could have lost the little bond they were slowly building. But now, one of its biggest secrets was revealed to a person.

"You spoke?" questioned Nikki, muttering the words under her breath.

It nodded. "Yes, I can. But, I haven't been able to until you came. Managing yourself to  come forth caused something--broke something perhaps."

Nikki smiled softly at the sound of its voice. It was not the prettiest of sounds, more like a deep, raspy tone. Furthermore, this gave her the opportunity to write this new discovery, if the creature allowed it.

"So," the creature continued. "You only came here for research didn't you? Just like the rest."

Embarrassed, Nikki did not reply. But she knew that was not the only reason she came here.

"There was another reason, am I correct?" Nikki nodded. Apparently, the creature read her mind. "Its because you wanted to see me?" Another nod was given. "Well then, that makes me extremely pleased to hear such a thing. It's the first anyone ever wondered here with bravery to compel yourself to me. I feel very appreciated by this fact."

Nikki's eyes brightened, along with a wide grin plastered across her face. "Does that mean I could write about you?"

It nodded. "Of course. Ask me anything and I'll be glad to answer. And it's all right if you publish this. I'd like to see if there are more people like you."

Nikki flushed, but quickly placed her notebook in front of her cheeks to hide it. "Thank you," she whispered. "But, could I come here, possibly everyday or so? You must be very lonely."

The creature smiled, "You inferred well." It paused momentarily, gesturing for Nikki to sit down. She did as what she was commanded to do. Followed by her, the creature also sat on the cold ground below them. "First things first, what is your name?"

"Oh, I'm sorry I didn't tell you in the beginning," she apologized. "My name is Nikki Arita. But you could just call me Nikki. Do you have a name?"

"That is a lovely name," it replied with a smile. Sadly, that smiled faded and was replaced by a frown. "And, no, I do not. But this isn't anything that we should worry about right now. I just have one final thing to ask you before we begin."

"And what is that?" Nikki asked, curiosity growing inside her.

"By all means, never call me a monster."

-------------------------------------------

-Nicoletta