Jack

"Alice...I didn't expect to see you here, I..." my words trail of. She's even more beautiful by day. She eclipses even the flowers behind her.

"Jack, hey, I didn't know you'd be back so soon or I would've changed, I must look like a mess," She chuckles.

"Nah, it's alright, you look fine, seen your mom round though?"

"My mom? Oh, right, yea she um... she had a meeting, didn't she tell you?"

"Nah she didn't." Karen usually has meetings on the fly so I'm sure it's one of those. I start feeling my stomach telling me that it needs something in it, morning runs usually do that to me.

"She told me to tell you that she left your food in the fridge if you're hungry."

"Okay, I'll go up and take a shower first, I'll see you around."

We stand there in silence for a moment, our eyes locked, I feel it again, the same feeling from last night...in my chest. I know what it is but I don't want to admit it to myself.  I Turn and head upstairs to the shower.

***

I finish my shower and head back, the thought that she'll be there makes me want to run...I know I shouldn't feel this way. It's nothing, maybe just a mix of boredom, horniness and lack of sleep.

I dismiss the thoughts of her and head down to find an empty kitchen. I peer around and she's not there. On the counter I find a note that says she's gone for a walk to clear her head. I sigh, I feel a little disappointed but I know it was childish of me to get excited over something so trivial as breakfast with an attractive woman... especially when that attractive woman is your wife's daughter.

I sit down to eat and my mind soon drifts to other things, like yesterday's fight. My ribs still hurt but I'm sure the other guy is feeling worst. The soreness in my muscles is present and the pains in my joints too. I'm not as young as I used to be. Forty years on this earth is catching up to me.

I start to think about Jimmy, his first question when he saw me was what I was doing fighting... if he only knew. He was right about one thing, I take a bite out of my sandwich, every time I step in to that cage, I risk everything I've worked so hard for...but if I don't, I risk it to.