The scene that greeted her was tranquil. Instead of the sound of artillery, the sweet sound of birdsong now filled the air. It was hard to believe that only yesterday, a few miles away, there had been so much death and destruction.

As she looked out of the window, at the peaceful scene below, she thought about the two men she cared for. Her brother had died, and, for the rest of her life, she would have to come to terms with his loss. James, on the other hand, was not dead, he was injured. Verity could not stop thinking about him. As she knew very little about his injuries, only what she had been told last night by Lord Harrington. Questions soon began to spin around her mind: how badly had he been injured? Would he make a recovery? Was he even still alive this morning?

As she thought about those unanswered questions, she began to get dressed. In the absence of a maid, she put on one of her plain, dark blue dresses and put her hair up in a simple chignon. She grabbed a shawl, wrapped it around her shoulders and was ready to go. If she had taken the time to look in the mirror, she would have seen that she looked dishevelled. Verity, though never ostentatiously dressed, always looked neat and tidy. On a typical day, she would never have gone outside looking like she did: but this was no ordinary day.

Verity left the Harrington's quietly, without anyone observing her departure. She almost ran up the street, and soon arrived at her destination; the Wrexham's residence. The butler took one look at her shabby appearance, and before Verity could introduce herself, she was shown into a small parlour at the front of the house. 'I will notify her ladyship of your presence,' he had said, looking at her with haughty disdain.

Verity sat down on a high-backed chair that was next to a side table. Her head was still swimming from the effects of the draft that Lady Harrington had given her. Verity was left alone in the parlour for about half an hour, but it felt much longer. Her head was beginning to ache, and she was becoming incredibly thirsty. She was starting to regret her hasty decision to come to this unwelcoming residence, with its haughty occupants, but it was now too late to change her mind.

At last, the parlour door opened, and Lady Wrexham, followed by Lady Caroline, came into the room. When they entered, Verity stood up a little unsteadily. Both women were immaculately dressed and held their heads up high. They stood in front of Verity and looked at her contemptuously.

'I would enquire after your health,' Lady Wrexham said harshly, 'but it is quite evident that you are not well. You had better sit down before you fall down,' she commanded, pointing at the chair that Verity had been sitting in.

Verity was now conscious of her unkempt appearance, but what she was not aware of, was how her face made her look almost haggard. Verity had naturally pale skin, but today it was sallow. The dark smudges, under her eyes, betrayed her lack of restful sleep. The two women, who now sat opposite, had no sympathy for her.

'Why are you here?' Lady Wrexham said, after a protracted silence, 'I take it that this is not a social call.'

'I came to enquire after Colonel Mitford's health,' she replied, holding her chin up and looking at Lady Wrexham in the eye. Verity knew, even in her weakened state, that this was not the time to show any vulnerability. She continued in a stronger voice, 'I was informed that yesterday, he was shot in the shoulder.'

'He was injured, and he is being attended by the best surgeons,' Lady Wrexham replied sharply, 'and he is being looked after by his close family.' She turned around and addressed Lady Caroline, 'is that not so Caro?'

'It is,' Lady Caroline replied, smiling at Lady Wrexham, 'by his close family.' She paused and then addressed Verity. 'Of course, being his betrothed, I am now considered to be part of that inner circle.'

'I do not know what I would have done without Caro,' Lady Wrexham said, looking at Verity in the eye, 'she has been a rock for this family.'

'If he is better, I would like to see him,' Verity said, 'I would like to thank him for...'

But before she could finish her sentence, Lady Wrexham had put up her hand and interrupted her. 'I do not think that it is appropriate for you, a governess, with a questionable family history, to be seen in the presence of my brother-in-law.' She stood up and walked over to where Verity was seated. She stood directly in front of Verity and looked down at her. Placing her hands on her hips, she said, her voice dripping with anger and contempt, 'Miss Stanford, whatever your relationship has been, with my brother-in-law, it is now over. Colonel Mitford is betrothed to Lady Caroline. Is that not so, Caro?'

'Yes, it is. And we are both very much in love,' Lady Caroline said with a smile on her face, 'would you like to see the ring?'

Before Verity could answer, Lady Caroline was standing next to Lady Wrexham, her left hand outstretched towards Verity. 'Is it not lovely?' she said with a half-smile, 'I do believe it belonged to James's grandmother.'

The ring consisted of a large emerald surrounded by beautifully cut, flawless diamonds. 'It is a family heirloom,' Lady Wrexham said, still staring at Verity, 'it was especially brought over from England at James's request. Does it not suit Lady Caroline's delicate fingers?'

Verity nodded. The ring was indeed beautiful, and it suited Lady Caroline's slender hand.

'We must not keep you any longer,' Lady Wrexham then said, satisfied she had warned Verity away from her brother-in-law, 'we have to finish packing up the house today.'

'Are you leaving?' Verity managed to say.

'Yes, tomorrow,' Lady Wrexham replied, 'the household is moving to Antwerp until James recovers, and then we are travelling straight back to England, where we can start to plan for the wedding.' Lady Wrexham then smiled sweetly and walked over to the bell to summon the butler. 'I do hope that this has not been a wasted visit,' she then added, 'and I do hope that you understand your situation a little better.'

Verity stood up. 'You have made your position perfectly clear, my lady.' Verity then curtsied to both women and said, 'do not bother the servants, I can see myself out.'

Verity did not know where she got the strength to go back to the Harrington's, but she managed to summon it from somewhere deep inside. When she returned to their residence, Lady Harrington was looking very concerned. 'My dear, where have you been. I have been beside myself with worry.'

Verity fell into a nearby chair, and for the first time, since she had heard about her brother's death, she began to weep uncontrollably. 'I want to go home,' was all she could say, over and over again.

back tother: