Chapter 7

Verity had not protested when James, who had just mounted his horse, took her firmly by the waist and lifted her up so that she sat in front of him.

As the horse began to trot down the lane, she felt his arm tighten around her waist. It had been a tiring and emotional day, and she felt physically and mentally exhausted. She put her head on his shoulder and leant against his chest. As she closed her eyes and relaxed, she savoured the masculine smell of horse and cologne that clung to his clothes. She felt a warmth, a sensation unlike any other she had ever experienced, well up deep within her. That afternoon, she had begun to feel a closeness to him that she had never felt with anyone else, not even her sister.

Once they had arrived outside the front entrance of Hadlands, Major Mitford dismounted his horse. Once his feet were firmly on the ground, he put his hands around her waist. 'Jump down,' he said, smiling at her encouragingly, 'I will catch you.'

Verity put her hands on each of his shoulders and slid down from the horse's back. As he gently guided her towards the ground, she felt a frisson of awareness ripple down her spine. Instinctively, once her feet were safely on the ground, she wrapped her arms around his neck and looked at him. He looked back at her so intensely that she felt his gaze pierce through her, all the way to her soul. He then slipped his hands around the back of her waist and gently rested his forehead on hers. As he pulled her close to him, she wanted to melt away into his embrace.

Verity did not know how long they had stood on the drive, it felt as though time had stood still. However, she felt disappointed when he, at last, let go of her waist and took a step back from her. She had wanted him to hold her close and kiss her, until the memory of what Melrose had done to her in the churchyard, had vanished. But she knew that a kiss, however welcome, would never dull that vivid memory. She sighed and put her hands by her side and smiled at him, burying the feeling of disappointment deep inside.

They continued to stand, looking intently at each other for several more minutes. 'I must return to Highfields,' Major Mitford said, at last, breaking the silence between them.

'Yes, of course,' Verity replied. 'It is already dark.'

'Goodbye, Miss Stanford,' he said formally as he mounted his horse, 'I will return when I have some news.'

'Goodbye,' she said softly, 'and thank you for your help.'

Verity watched him until he had disappeared into the darkness. She felt incredibly lonely, standing outside Hadlands, listening to the sound of his horse's hooves fade away into the night. She felt a tear fall down her cheek, and she wiped it angrily away with her sleeve. Why did she feel so lonely now, when she had been alone for most of her life? But she had felt something today, an emotion she had never experienced before. When he had comforted her in the folly and offered her his help, she had felt something awaken deep within her. During the few hours, she had spent in his company, that physical feeling of warmth in the pit of her abdomen had magnified until she had just wanted him to throw caution to the wind and kiss her. But, he had not, and the strength of the disappointment she now felt, had taken her by surprise.

By the time Verity entered the house, it had been dark for several hours. As she entered the entrance hall, she could smell the now familiar fusty odour of damp in the air. The house that had been uninhabited all day felt cold and dank. Once Verity had removed her damp cloak and had wrapped a dry shawl around her shoulders, she lit some candles and set about lighting the fire in the drawing room.

Once she had lit the fire and was beginning to feel the benefits of its warmth, she became increasingly aware of her sister's absence. 'Cassie,' she thought to herself, 'it is late. Where are you?'