Chapter 15

'Well,' Cassie said, once they had entered a large bedchamber, 'this is a surprise.' Cassie sat down on a stool next to a dressing table. She turned around and looked at her sister and her companion. 'Please sit down,' she said, motioning to a love-seat on the other side of the room. 'The pair of you look quite ridiculous standing there.'

Verity sat down next to Maisie on the plush velvet chair.

'You were very foolish coming here,' Cassie said, at last, 'if you were caught, there would be nothing I could do to help you.' She took a deep breath. 'Why have you come here?' she said.

'We have come to take you away,' Verity answered.

Cassie laughed. 'I see you are still as naïve as you were when I last saw you,'

There was a long and awkward silence. 'I cannot believe that Reggie knows you are here,' Verity said, looking around the room.

The bedchamber was unlike any Verity had ever seen before. It was well lit with the same large candelabra, she had seen in the salon, that was arranged on tables around the room. There were numerous mirrors with ornate gilt frames, placed strategically on the walls that were covered with a rich red wallpaper. A plush carpet, of a similar hue, covered the floor and a large bed, took centre stage.

Cassie flicked her long golden hair to one side and laughed. 'Of course, our dear little brother knows I am here. He comes most nights to avail himself of the many pleasures a place like this provides.'

'Does he gamble?' Verity asked.

'Our dear, dear brother,' Cassie said, in an exaggerated manner, 'is just like our father in many, many ways. But he does not come here only to gamble.

'He has not lost Hadlands?' Verity asked quietly.

'Not yet,' Cassie replied, 'but it can only be a matter of time before he does.'

The door of the bedchamber opened, and a woman, wearing the same golden dress as Cassie, but with a green sash, walked in. Her long flowing hair was black, like a raven, and she had brilliant green eyes, the same colour as the large emerald around her neck. 'Rosa, I saw you leave abruptly. Are you in trouble?' The woman said to Cassie, as she looked suspiciously at Verity and Maisie.

'No Emerald,' she replied, with a smile, 'nothing is amiss. Just a couple of old friends. That is all.'

'Is there anything I can do to help?' she said, still standing at the door.

'I am meant to be with the Earl of Acton. Would you be a dear?'

Emerald nodded, 'I will go and find him.'

Once she had gone, Verity asked, 'why did she call you Rosa and not use your real name?'

Cassie laughed as if Verity had said something very amusing, and then said, 'my dear sister, my name here is La Rosa d'Oro; the golden rose. It was chosen for me to reflect the colour of my hair. The young, innocent and very naïve Cassie, you knew, died two and a half years ago, and was replaced by the sophisticated and worldly La Rosa d'Oro.' Cassie swept her arms downwards to show Verity the change. 'You will not find your sister here anymore, just what she has become.'

Cassie sighed and opened an enamel box on the dressing table. Once she had scrutinised its contents, she selected a long thin cheroot and walked over to the nearest candelabra. Closing her eyes, she drew slowly on the cheroot, until a cloud of smoke came from its end. After it had been lit, she walked over to a chaise long, just opposite to where Verity and Maisie were sitting. Holding the cheroot delicately in two slim fingers, over her right shoulder, she then drew on it deeply, holding her breath, before releasing the smoke through pursed lips.