Chapter 23

The morning after the Wrexham's ball, Verity visited Lady Harrington in her bedchamber. The shutters and curtains were still closed, and, as a result, none of the bright morning sunshine could permeate the darkened corners of the room. 'Are you feeling a little better today?' Verity asked Lady Harrington quietly.

'Much better, my dear,' she replied, propping herself up against the pillows, 'I slept well last night, and my head feels much clearer this morning.'

'Would you like me to ring for your maid?' Verity said softly, 'she could bring you a little breakfast.'

'Please open the shutters and ring for Sally. I feel well enough to go downstairs for breakfast and hear all the gossip from the Wrexham's ball.' She paused and then said, 'not that Harry is any good at conveying any interesting tidbits. He is more interested in horses than what anyone was wearing, or even what was served at supper, but I will try.'

In less than an hour, the two women were sitting in the dining room with Lord Harrington. 'How was the ball at the Wrexham's?' Lady Harrington enquired, after buttering a slice of toast. 'Was it a sad squeeze?'

'It was a squeeze,' Lord Harrington said, before taking a sip of coffee, 'there were far too many guests crowded into the ballroom.' Lord Harrington then picked up a copy of The Times that had just arrived from London. It was nearly four days old, but he was so desperate for news from home, that he did not care that it was sadly out of date. He shook the newspaper, folded it, making easier to manipulate, and began to read the front page.

'Who was there?' Lady Harrington asked a little impatiently.

'Everyone we know,' he said, not lifting his head from behind the paper.

There was a long silence, that was punctuated by the rustle of Lord Harrington's paper as he turned the pages.

'What did she serve for supper?' Lady Harrington asked. A little more impatience crept into her voice as she spoke to her husband.

'This and that,' he said nonchalantly, 'it was quite nice, but, of course, there was not nearly enough. These young officers seem to be able to eat for England.'

'What did the centrepiece on the table look like?' Lady Harrington asked, after another silence.

'It was big and gaudy, and took up most of the table,' he replied wearily.

'And what were the ladies wearing?' she asked eagerly, 'what colour was Charlotte's dress?'

'Charlotte?' he answered, shaking the paper once more, 'how can I remember what she was wearing. I don't even like the woman!'

'Oh Harry,' she said in exasperation, 'you are quite useless. I must visit Evangelina and find out any interesting gossip for myself.'

'I am sorry, my dear,' Lord Harrington said as he put the paper down, 'you know that I do not pay any attention to the important details of these events.' He then turned around to Verity, 'but Miss Stanford, I did meet your brother, Sir Reginald. He was a most agreeable young man. He asked if he could call on you, and I said he would be most welcome.'

'You met Reggie?' Verity asked in surprise, looking up from her coffee cup.

'Yes,' Lord Harrington replied, 'he accompanied Colonel Mitford.'

'That is marvellous,' Lady Harrington said, 'I wonder if they will come to the Duchess of Richmond's ball tonight? Or if she will even hold a ball at all. Sally told me the French are very close to Brussels.'

'The Duchess is determined to hold her ball,' Lord Harrington said, his newspaper now abandoned. 'Yesterday, she asked the Duke whether she should carry on with it as planned. He assured her she could hold it without any fear of interruption. 'Of course,' he added, 'he would have to agree. If there are any French informants in Brussels, and no doubt there are, cancelling it would have sent the wrong message to our enemies. We must be seen to be carrying on as normal.'