Chapter 13

Once Verity had returned to school, after her meeting with Mr Huntley, she had begun to make the necessary preparations for visiting her sister. Mr Huntley's reaction to her suggested disguise as a maid had been lukewarm. However, she had managed to persuade him into thinking that it might just work. All Verity had to do, over the next few days, was find a suitable outfit and wait for his instruction. He had been insistent that they wait until Sunday because that was the club's least busy evening.

When Verity had spoken with Mr Huntley, earlier that afternoon, she had been full of excitement. Now, in the middle of the night, as she lay awake unable to sleep, the initial excitement of finding her sister had vanished, and she was beginning to have second thoughts about whether or not her plan would work. Mr Huntley had made it abundantly clear that he would leave her as soon as he got her into the building. He had warned her that no amount of money could persuade him to stay. She would be well and truly on her own. But, once inside, how difficult could it be to find her sister? Mr Huntley had managed to find her with only the help of a small miniature.

Early the next morning, with that thought in her mind, the usually cautious Verity went in search of a maid's dress. It never occurred to Verity that taking a dress would cause such a commotion. After all, she was only going to borrow it for a few days. Once she had finished with it, she would return it, as good as new, to its rightful owner. However, taking the dress was easier said than done. The staff, in charge of the laundry, were always on their guard against theft. It was well known that any unattended uniform was in danger of being taken by an opportunist looking for a newer and better replacement. Most of the pupils, as well as staff, had embroidered their names on the inside of their clothing, hoping to stop this particular crime. This universal policy did indeed have the desired effect, by reducing the number of uniforms that disappeared under mysterious circumstances.

It was just before dawn when Verity managed to sneak into the laundry room and take a plain black dress that belonged to one of the maids. She had recognised the name, embroidered on the back, and thought that the dress would fit, even though the maid was a little shorter than herself. Verity hid the dress under her bed and went about her everyday business, hoping that its loss would not be noticed for a few days. However, in an institution that prides itself on organisation, the loss of a dress was, of course, seen before the day had even begun.

After a day of searching every nook and cranny, the dress was no closer to being found. That evening, at supper, the main topic of conversation had been the disappearance of the dress. Madame Dupont, as her role as headmistress, had used her usual after supper address as a warning about theft and the consequences of being caught. Everyone, who had listened to the formidable grand dame, was under no illusions about how she viewed the incident and the punishment that it would bring the perpetrator. Only the thought of seeing her sister once more stopped her from returning it immediately to its rightful owner.

As soon as supper was over, Verity returned to her room only to find Maisie sitting on her bed, with the stolen dress on her lap. Maisie did not look happy. Verity sheepishly came into the room and sat next to her. 'So, you have found it,' Verity said, at last, breaking the silence that had descended upon them.

'I am lost for words, Verity,' Maisie eventually replied, 'this is not like you at all. Why have you taken it?' Verity sat quietly, looking at her hands that were resting on her lap. 'Please, Verity, I am your friend. You can trust me.'

Verity sighed and cupped her face with her hands. 'I do not know if I can trust you,' she eventually said. 'I have seen so little of you over the past two weeks. And I know you have been leaving this room in the middle of the night when you think I am asleep.'