Chapter 16

As Ellington walked back into the salon, he caught Emerald's eye. She placed her hand on the arm of the gentleman she was with and whispered something in his ear. She then smiled and looked over at Ellington.

Just three years ago, Ellington had been a poor soldier living beyond his means in Spain. He had to regularly follow orders, however ridiculous he thought they were, putting his life in danger, on the whim of some politician back in London. Now, he stood in another country, a different man. Gone was the rather worn uniform and overly long unruly hair. He had transformed himself into a gentleman of the highest rank. He no longer needed to worry about money. Not only had he married a wealthy woman, but he had also invested much of his wife's dowry into his cousin's empire. They had formed a partnership and were now considered to be two of the most influential men in London.

Ellington was an impressive figure, who stood a few inches above most men. He was always impeccably dressed in the most elegant, fashionable clothes, that had been made by London's most exclusive tailors. Tonight, he wore a well-cut superfine navy blue wool tailcoat, over a simply designed cream silk waistcoat, with thin burgundy and navy stripes. Around his neck, he wore a snow-white cravat that his experienced valet, had intricately tied around his neck. He wore buff coloured trousers and on his feet, he wore a pair of highly polished Hessian boots. His thick black hair suited the fashionably tousled style that many gentlemen of the nobility wore. He was clean-shaven, apart from his well-groomed sideburns, which had been carefully sculpted to match the contour of his chin. Even though he was thirty years old, he only had a few grey hairs, and those he had, gave him an air of respectability and gravitas. On his finger, he wore a large, ostentatious ruby signet ring that had been specially designed by his father-in-law, and had been given to him as a wedding present. His dress was finished off, with a smart black ebony walking cane, that had a plain silver head. Despite his injury, he did not need it for walking. Instead, he often leant against it, making him look relaxed and confident. It was no wonder that all the young men in the room looked up at him in awe. Many tried to emulate his dress and demeanour, but few came close to replicating it.

He had now been married for just over two years, and his wife's vast fortune was completely under his control. Before her marriage, she had been spoilt and used to having her way. But Ellington soon taught her that he would not tolerate any temper tantrums or manipulative behaviour. She was now part of his property, and she had to do as she was told. Soon after the marriage, he had packed her off to one of his more remote estates in the North of England. She sent numerous begging letters to him and her father, but Ellington had managed to convince his father-in-law that this banishment was in his family's best interest.

Ellington leant against his cane as he watched the beautiful Emerald walk slowly towards him. When she reached him, she greeted him with a kiss on the cheek and a big smile. 'Major,' she said in a low husky voice, 'I am glad you came back. There is something I need to tell you.'

'What is it, my dear?' he said, leaning his head down to her level.

'It is Rosa,' she said, looking around to make certain no one was listening to their conversation, 'she has had a couple of visitors.'

'Has she?' he replied, 'have you seen them?'

Emerald nodded, 'yes, they are both women I did not recognise.'

'Can you describe them to me?' Ellington asked her.

'Of course,' she replied, 'I had a good look at them before I left. One was short with dark brown hair, and the other was tall with red hair. The tall one looked familiar.'

Ellington smiled, 'Thank you, Emerald, you are a good girl.' He looked over at the gentleman she had left behind. 'Did Rosa ask you to entertain the Earl?'