Chapter 19

Verity looked at her astonished, and then managed to say, in barely a whisper, 'my mother?'

'Was your mother Lady Viola Stanford?' the lady replied.

'Yes,' Verity said shocked.

'You look just like her, my dear,' she said with a smile. 'But, where are my manners?' She then added briskly, 'we have not been introduced. I am Lady Harrington, and I was your mother's best friend during our first season.'

Verity could not help but stare at the woman, who now sat next to her. She felt incredibly rude just gaping at her, but no words came. She was in shock.

Lady Harrington, aware that Verity was tongue-tied, continued, 'I first met your mother during our come-out season back in eighty-eight. That was seven and twenty years ago,' she said with a chuckle, 'that does make me feel old.' She looked at Verity and then continued. 'All season, the two of us were inseparable. I cannot believe it; you look just like her,' she said, taking hold of her hand and patting it, 'just like her.'

'I have been told I look a little like my mother,' Verity said, 'but her hair was brown, not red.'

'Oh no, my dear,' Lady Harrington said forcefully, 'Who told you that? Viola's hair was the same shade of red as yours.'

Verity was puzzled. As far as she could remember, her mother never had any friends. No one ever came to visit her, and she never received any letters from the outside world. 'Where are you staying? I overheard that you were a schoolmistress, but that cannot be true.'

'Yes,' Verity said, looking at her hands that were twisted together in her lap, 'I work at a local girls' school.'

'Well, that will never do,' she replied, almost under her breath, 'Viola would not have liked that one bit.'

Verity did not know what to say in response. Fortunately, Lady Harrington spoke before she could answer. 'You must join my husband and me for dinner tonight, and I can answer any questions about your mother that I know you must have.'

'I do not...' Verity was about to refuse the invitation politely, but Lady Harrington once more interrupted her.

'I never take no for an answer, my dear, never.' She took hold of Verity's hand once more and said, 'please, my dear, for my sake.'

Verity reluctantly agreed.

✽✽✽

Early that evening, Verity, for the fourth time that day, was travelling in a large, well-sprung carriage. This time, the vehicle was conveying her to dinner at the residence of Lord and Lady Harrington.

When Madam Dupont was told about Verity's invitation to the Harrington's for dinner, she had raised her eyebrows. However, she did not, much to Verity's relief, bombard her with questions about why the invitation had been issued. To help her prepare for the evening, Madame Dupont was kind enough, once more, to lend her Huntley. The formidable maid had tutted, when she had rifled through Verity's inadequate wardrobe, trying to find a suitable outfit. Huntley had decided that Verity would have to wear the same dress she had worn that afternoon. It was the only one, out of her limited collection, that would be suitable for the occasion. Huntley had pressed the creased skirt and rearranged her hair, and now Verity was ready to go.

The carriage drew up outside the townhouse that was similar in size to the Wrexham's. Verity, for the second time that day, felt rather inadequate walking up the steps towards the front door. She felt that she was entering another world, one in which she did not belong.

Lady Harrington had been watching for Verity's arrival. And before the butler had had a chance to announce her, Lady Harrington was gracefully walking down the stairs. Her ladyship looked younger than she had done earlier that afternoon. She wore a beautiful light blue silk dress, with a high waist and a plunging neckline. Her hair was swept off her shoulders, and she wore the most impressive diamond necklace Verity had ever seen. 'I am so glad you came,' Lady Harrington said to her guest. She then walked over to Verity and put her arms around her affectionately. 'It is so good to see you,' she said holding her tight in her arms. Lady Harrington let go of Verity, but still holding her gently by her arm, she said, 'please come through to the drawing room. Lord Harrington is eager to meet you.'