Chapter 20

By the next evening, Verity had packed up all her belongings and had moved into the Harrington's townhouse. Lady Harrington had been genuinely overjoyed to welcome Verity into her home. It was all rather strange. Verity had never resided in a house like the Harrington's. During the first nine years of her life, she had been locked away in the nursery at Hadlands, with only her severe nurse and her even more foreboding governess in attendance. Then she had resided, all year round in an all-female environment, at the Bristol Academy. She was now living in a proper home, complete with a couple who doted on each other.

She was given a large bedchamber at the back of the house. Lady Harrington had amused Verity when she apologised for its size. 'I am so sorry, my dear,' she had said when they entered the room for the first time, 'I know that it is rather small.'

Verity had tried to reassure Lady Harrington. 'My lady,' Verity said as she looked around the room for the first time, 'it is beautiful.' She went over to the window and looked out to see a charming courtyard garden. 'And, I have a view of the garden. It is perfect.'

'My mantua-maker will be along in the morning to measure you for some dresses,' she had said to Verity.

'Thank you for your kindness,' Verity had replied, turning around to look at her again, 'but it is not necessary to buy me any new clothes.'

'Nonsense,' was the reply, 'as my companion, you will accompany me to formal engagements, and you must have a smart wardrobe. Anyway,' Lady Harrington then added, 'you are the daughter of a baronet, and your mother's bloodline was second to none. You deserve to take your place in society.'

Verity did not reply because she knew that everything Lady Harrington had said to her was true. She could hardly accompany her ladyship to fashionable engagements, dressed in the sensible dull dresses she wore to work. The previous afternoon, at Lady Wrexham's, had given her an insight into the strange new world she was about to enter, and there was not one item in her wardrobe that would serve that purpose. However, Verity was not prepared for the sheer volume of dresses and accessories that Lady Harrington had ordered for her.

Verity had tried to dissuade her ladyship from ordering her so much. But, Verity soon learnt that once Lady Harrington had got an idea in her head, there was little point arguing with her. Eventually, after trying her best to stop her, she had given up. Verity just stood quietly as the mantua-maker measured her for her new wardrobe, while her ladyship looked on, making her recommendations for materials, styles and colours.

It was not until they discussed a ball gown, when Verity, at last, found her voice. 'A ball gown,' she had said with concern, 'I do not think that is necessary. I will never be invited to a ball.'

'Nonsense,' was the reply, 'of course you will be invited. In fact, you have already been invited to the Duchess of Richmond's ball on the fifteenth, and everybody who's anybody will be there.'

'I already have a couple of dresses with me that will fit Mademoiselle,' the mantua-maker said, 'one of my clients unexpectedly left Brussels only a few days ago. She was tall and slim just like Mademoiselle.'

Lady Harrington looked critically at the dresses the mantua-maker had bought and selected a couple for Verity to try on. After some minor alterations, the dresses fitted perfectly. The first was a light muslin day dress with a green bodice and a similar coloured floral pattern on the skirt. The other dress was beautiful and fitted her to perfection. It was a silk ivory evening dress, with a high waist and a gold embroidered bodice.

Verity would have been more than happy with just those two dresses, but Lady Harrington had ordered more. 'Thank you, my lady,' Verity had said, when the mantua-maker had gone, 'you have been very generous.'