My Name is Genevieve

Start from the beginning

But Legolas flashed me a twinkling smile, his eyes laughing. "Perhaps it is not I who is too fast, but rather, you are being too slow, mellon."

I scowled, my mind whirring at how he could have beaten me at my own game. But Legolas continued to pull me along, intent on his path. When we had finally reached the stables, I raised my eyebrow. "Is this your big and mighty plan before our potential deaths?" I asked sarcastically, but Legolas simply rolled his eyes and placed one hand on my waist, making me jump.

"You don't have to help me on my horse, I know how to do that," I said, but Legolas raised one Elvish eyebrow.

"Who said I was helping you up?" he asked, feigning innocence before jumping on Larein, who strangely, did not protest.

My lip tightened at the ends, a scowl flashing on my face, with Legolas smiling innocently at me. "Problem, mellon?" he asked.

I narrowed my eyes. "You are too heavy for Larein, get off," I growled.

Legolas chuckled. "If you do not remember, mellon, I was not the one about to drown in the snow back in Caradhras."

I opened my mouth furiously, but Legolas just gave a sly smile and sliding off Larein, he pulled me upwards, boosting me onto Larein's back, while he jumped onto his horse's back, who gave a disinterested huff of jealousy that Legolas had chosen Larein. In response, Larein flicked her mane impetuously, making both me and Legolas chuckle at her behavior.

 "Where are we going?" I asked, a curious lilt to my voice. 

 Legolas turned to face me in his saddle, his eyes twinkling, "You will see," he spoke, making me roll my eyes, as we both snapped our reins....

 ***

  The meadow seemed to sing as Legolas and I arrived at the spot, Larein frolicking around the flower buds that peeked shyly out of the grass.

Legolas leaned in close, the wind teasing the strands of hair on his face. Slowly, he reached forwards and placed his hand gently on the back of my neck, turning my head towards him softly. Overhead, the breeze cooled my furious blush, but my heart started racing, my insides feeling strangely warm, as if filled with a buttery light.

Slowly, I closed my eyes, my lashes fluttering slightly before I leaned in closer. Suddenly, I heard Legolas's light chuckle, sending a warmth down my spine. "And what are you expecting, mellon?" he asked teasingly, making me narrow my eyes, punching him in the shoulder.

"I had expected nothing more from an idiotic princeling," I hissed back, making Legolas laugh.

But suddenly, Legolas sobered, his mouth grim as he stared into the distance. His expression was sorrowful, as if every word cost him a sword in his heart. "Perhaps if you survive; perhaps if we both live to see the next day, perhaps we can see..." Legolas trailed off.