To Lead is Not to Follow

I froze. It had been so long since I had last seen him. And from his restricted gaze, I knew he had glimpsed me as well. But that moment disapparated as an Orc blindly lunged at me. Traipsing backwards, I slashed its neck before retreating, colliding into someone else's back. Startled, I spun around, before glancing at Legolas, who had already notched his bow, the arrow barely an inch away from my face. 

  Seeing that it was me, however, he lowered it before lashing out with his dagger-- the same time that I had swung my sword; effectively killing the Orc behind me as my sword intercepted the enemy behind him as well. Before we could even say a word to each other, an Orc sword whistled past my ear, forcing me to duck and spinning around, I seized the sword and kicked it away from the enemy before beheading him. Spinning back to my previous position, my sword collided with Legolas's dagger, as we both froze in our positions. For a moment, everything seemed still before I chose to tread the dangerous waters.

  "Le abdollen," (You're late) I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

  Legolas stood still, as if his hesitation had hindered him. "Edni Abrehellen," (Better late than never.) he spoke, his voice signifying more than what his words had meant. 

  As if countering to my thoughts, I saw something like a wisp of green mist surrounding us, as Aragorn and Gimli rushed towards the mist. "What in Sauron's very ugly face?" I grimaced, watching as the mist righted itself and formed the shape of a grisly man, his face almost eerie with flesh sticking off the odious sickly green bone. Well, I guess Aragorn now owns the largest death army in Middle-Earth. I sighed. The perks of being part of Isildur's line.

  "Release us," the man rasped, his voice not like a whisper, but as if a dry, arid wind swept through the field; devoid of life.

  "Not a wise choice, laddie," Gimli voiced his opinion rather nervously as the ghosts turned towards him as one; anger disfiguring their already disfigured faces.

  "You gave us your word!" the leader roared, desperation for freedom in his eyes.

  There was no trace of hesitation in his eyes as Aragorn said the simple words, "I hold your oaths fullfilled. Be at peace.." As the last word passed from his lips, the ghost leader let out a shuddering sigh, as his translucent eyes turned empty and they disappeared in the exact same rustle of dry wind that had brought them here.

    For a moment, there was a hollow silence before I broke the ice, "Is this not the best time to compare kill counts?"

***

   At the ending of the battle, the remaining injured were hauled into the palace; as wounds were doctored by the palace physicians and families were reunited as soldiers returned. It was both a tearful and moving scene as I saw those who had come to the palace, only to find that no one was there. 

   "So, Aragorn, Gimli," I started, looking them in the eye, "Did you hear I launched myself in a catapult and killed two Nazgûl?" 

   Aragorn rolled his eyes chivalrously. "Do you ever stop luting your achievements?" he asked, knowing that the question did not need to be answered. 

   I felt someone brush past me. Looking back, I saw Legolas sweep past me, his eyes strangely blank as he ignored me and slipped out of the doors. 

  "Is Legolas still--" I began, before Aragorn cut me off with a shake of his head, though his eyes were darkened. 

   Swallowing, I remembered the faint smile he had given during the battle. Was it just my imagination? From the way he was acting, I might as well not have existed. 

   "Well," I sighed, sheathing my sword, "I need to get some air, if you will excuse me." 

  Inclining my head towards Aragorn and Gimli, I left through the doors, following Legolas's silhouette as he treaded into the courtyard, which was now empty. The White Tree of Gondor was still pale and sickly, but a single blossom was spun on the branches; as if saying that there was still hope. Legolas stopped abruptly. "I know you are following me," he said, not even bothering to turn around. 

   My voice caught in my throat. "Well, I just wanted to test my stalking skills," I said, but as Legolas turned, his eyes showed no trace of amusement. 

   However, his face seemed to soften as he dipped his head towards me, so obtusely formal that it was as if we were meeting as strangers. "Please," he said, his voice soft, "do not follow me, mellon nîn." 

   Feeling my heart contract, as if crushed with ice, I felt my body seizing, as it had always done upon a kill. He had called me friend, but the word was no longer light with teasing, but filled with sorrow and.... betrayal. 

   Swallowing back my grief, I nodded, inclining my head in equal politeness; my face emotionless like a slab of stone, but hiding a storm of emotions within. 

  He had asked me not to follow him, so I shall not follow him again. 

***

 Made up another Elvish word. 

Edni Abrehellen-- Better late than never. 

Ok, so I know that you are all upset about this scene because Legolas admitted that he was a fool for letting Evelyn go in the previous previous chapter, but to be honest, broken relationships and hurtful words do not get healed in a day. I am sorry if all of you are heartbroken, but don't think that Legolas does not love Evelyn. After all, I actually made a double update......