My Name is Genevieve

I winced slightly as I unwrapped the bandages around my chest. It was a slight wound, compared to the breaking of ribs that often vexed me back in Shanelor. However, if I was to meet Aeduinn in the field of battle, then I must be in my peak form. Feeling the slight spasm of fear cross through me, I grabbed my blouse from beside me and slipped it in about my shoulders. Tightening my forearm guards, I fastened my sword to my side. It was the day before the battle, if I didn't keep my wits about me at all times, I would be slaughtered.

  I heard a soft knock at the door. "Come in," I muttered distractedly as I searched for my knife.

"You look busy," I heard a familiar soft voice. Whipping around, I glimpsed Legolas's amused face, a bright smile enhancing his features.

"It's the day before the battle," I replied, avoiding his eyes, "I need to train for any circumstance that happens."

Legolas's lip twitched at the corner. "Shall I train with you?" he asked in mock politeness, "perhaps we should all brush up on our archery skills."

"Please shut up," I scowled, turning to face him, "you know how much I hate archery."

Legolas chuckled. "Mellon nîn, you mentioned how you must be prepared for every circumstance that heads your way. What if I am in mortal peril and the only way you could save me was with archery?" he asked, feigning innocence.

I was about to snap at him with a sarcastic retort before I felt the full force of what he just did hit me across the face. "You--" I stuttered, entirely flabbergasted, "you- you just made a joke," I said feebly, pointing my finger at him.

Legolas rolled his eyes chivalrously. "I am impressed, mellon, that you can comprehend what the word means," he said, with a hint of playfulness.

"Are-are you alright?" I asked, feeling his forehead and checking my own temperature in turn, "do you have some kind of fever? Disease? Is the world going to die?" I asked frantically, my eyes filled with mocking worry.

He leaned in close, his breath mingling with mine, "Well, we are going to battle to the death tomorrow, does that help?"

"Nope," I said bluntly, sheathing my knife in my belt.

Refusing to be deterred, Legolas leaned in closer, a playful glint in his blue eyes. "Then what say you? Shall we spend a day off?" he asked softly.

I rolled my eyes. "What part of eminent death do you not get?" I asked, pinning up my hair.

"And what part of getting the day off, do you not get either?" he asked mischeviously before grabbing my hand. "It is the day before our potential deaths, Evelyn, we both deserve a day off," he chastised before pulling me along with tremendous force, whisking me from my room and along the corridors.

"Slow down, you idiotic princeling!" I hissed, trying to tug my hand out of his firm grip to no avail, "stop being so fast, it annoys me."