Throwing a Sword at an Old Friend

I flinched as I came to, shaking my head to clear my dazed brain. Startled when my vision began to double-up and the world started to slant sideways and upside-down, I blinked until I could see all the commotion. 

         The White Wizard was engulfed in a sphere of blinding light and was evading all of the efforts of the Fellowship. In short, they were outmatched horrendously. Legolas was shooting arrows with unprecedented accuracy, but each of his shafts were thrown backwards, careening off course and forcing Gimli to duck behind a clump of bushes for protection. Aragorn attempted to throw fierce blows with his sword, but the hilt burned red-hot, scalding his hand and forcing him to drop his weapon. 

        Gulping in precious moments of oxygen, I strained my limbs to move, feeling as if lead weights were attached to it. I narrowed my eyes. There was no way Saruman was going to destroy the Fellowship, not when we have come so far.

        I had no stealth, not when I was in clear-view, but I had a few tricks up my sleeves. Charging towards the wizard, I hefted my sword and just as I expected, the sword hissed with the red-hot burn. Time to act unpredictable. In battle, there was always time for acting and always time for reacting, and in this case, I needed to act.. and fast.

        Sliding into a crouch, I used the extra building momentum to throw the burning sword straight at Saruman's face. As expected, the wizard let out an exclamation of surprise, and just barely managed to deflect it. I grit my teeth and prepared to vault over and jab at his knees, but before I could do so, I felt my body freeze. I couldn't move. Straining, I tried to wretch out my legs, but my struggles were to no avail and my feet were firmly stuck to the ground.

        "You were tracking the footsteps of two young hobbits," the voice of the White Wizard spoke, ringing through our ears as we were all restrained. 

         "I do not see how that is any of your business," I snarled ferociously, my eyes blazing with anger, "but you are way overdue with a nice decapitation." 

         Seemingly unconcerned at my death threat, the wizard continued in his grave voice, "They passed this way, just before yesterday. They met someone they did not expect. Does that comfort you?" 

          "Who are you?" Aragorn cried, "show yourself!"

         Chuckling the wizard swung his staff and allowed the light to dissolve, revealing..... 

         "Gandalf," Aragorn whispered in awe. 

         My eyes widened. He was alive... my charm had worked... he... Gandalf....

         "Forgive me," Legolas spoke, kneeling to the ground in sorrow, "I mistook you for Saruman." 

       "But I am Saruman," Gandalf said wisely, "but rather, Saruman as he should have been." 

      "But you fell!" Gimli blurted, coming out of the bushes.