Lissuin

"You will need to leave right now, if you wish to accompany us," Gandalf said gravely, holding out his staff, "Shadowfax will leave first thing in the morning and you must ride ahead if you wish an audience with the Steward of Gondor."

     Nodding in acceptance, I hesitated, then took a step forward. "Will the others be fine without our help?" I asked, my voice barely above a whisper. 

     Gandalf gave a side-long glance at me, an almost knowing look in his eyes. "They won't be if the Steward does not agree to our terms." Almost unconsciously, I glanced at Legolas, who's back faced me, talking animatedly, and shall we say, ignorantly, with a disgruntled Aragorn. 

     I sighed. 

    How did things go so wrong so fast? 

   But the time was not for questions, it was the time for action. Tearing out of the Great Hall, I swifted past Legolas, who continued engaging in his conversation. Was it just my imagination, or did his eyes dart towards me in a fraction of a second? Shaking off my thoughts, I heard the sound of footsteps behind me. Sprinting as hard as he could, Aragorn caught me by the elbow, matching pace with me as I veered sharply to the stables. "You are leaving, aren't you?" Aragorn asked bluntly, knowing me far too well. 

    However, I resumed my nonchalant facade, and answered, "What makes you think that?" 

   Without even glancing at me, Aragorn replied, "You have your traveling cloak on, your sword is fastened to your hip, and you have that look on your face, as if you are going to incinerate someone to ashes." 

    "What an excellent observation," I said dryly. 

   Aragorn shook his head. "You don't have to go alone," he said, concern now etched in his voice. 

   This time, I shook my head, our roles now reversed. "Rohan needs you, and so does the Fellowship and Leg--" 

   Aragorn cut me off sharply, "What Legolas needs right now is you, Genevieve." 

  I stopped in my tracks. There is was again. The name, the heritage that had broken everything dear to me. "Don't pretend," Aragorn said, in what seemed like a scoff, "you and Legolas are not truly angry at each other. As both of your companions, I will say this: Legolas is an elf--" 

  "No, duh," I said sarcastically. 

  Shooting me a look, Aragorn continued, "Legolas is an elf, and the lives of elves are immortal. They do not understand death as we do, nor do they know pain and suffering. They may be the pure beings of the Valar, but even they, do not truly know love as we do." 

   I rolled my eyes. "I am immortal as well, thanks to the all-powerful bloodline of my father," I said. 

    Aragorn shook his head yet again. "You have every right to be upset about Tauriel, and even though Legolas's words are sharp, do not fool yourself in thinking that he does not care for you."