Chapter 7

"She resigned? What do you mean she resigned? We were here just two days ago." Shane asked the front desk the next day when we went to look for Kimberly.

"Look I don't know the details but I do know that as of yesterday, Kimberly is no longer with us. Would you like to see the chief?"

"Umm..for now we're good. We may come back later." Shane said and we exited.

"That's...weird." I said when we got out.

"I know. Something's up. There's no way she just left and didn't even tell us." He said pulling out his phone.

"Hey, where the heck are you? We were just told you resigned today?" He said as the phone was put on speaker.

"Yeah Shane...I did. I-I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you. I was offered an new internship in Boston and they wanted me over here in twenty four hours." Her voice sounded shaky as she said it.

"Really? You don't sound so sure." Shane asked.

"Shane why would I lie to you about this? Aren't you happy for me?"

"Of course I am, we just had an incident yesterday."

"If this cryptic message stuff gets any weirder I would talk to the chief and the police, Shane. I'm serious."

"Ok. You're right. Good luck."

"Thanks."

"Did she sound like she was telling the truth to you?" Shane asked.

"Honestly, not really. She sounded tense. I wonder what that's all about."

"Maybe we should go see the chief."

"Shane we can't tell the chief to-"

"No not tell him off, maybe do some research...on my mom."

"What do you think that'll do?"

"If this is linked together like we're thinking...I don't know it just might be a possibility."

"It can't hurt. Let's go."

"We're back. Could we see some records of someone?" Shane asked when we walked in.

"Who were you looking to see records of?"

"My mother. Her name was Elizabeth. She went missing about two years ago. I just wanted to see some stuff about her."

"I'll see what I can find." She said and went to the back. She came back about a minute later with some files. "Is this your mother?" She asked.

"Yup that's her." Shane said and we went to have a seat.

"Wow Shane you look just like her." I said looking at her picture.

"Are you saying I look like a girl?" He asked.

"Yup that's exactly what I said. Word for word. No seriously, you have her eyes and they're really nice."

"That is so not a manly compliment. Try nice abs, or boner next time."

"Eww that's disgusting!! That is absolutley nasty!! Anyways, look it says the date your mom went missing."

"Yup, and where she was last seen. Here's more pictures of her."

"You miss her, don't you? I asked.

"In the same way I'm sure you miss your sister, yes."

Something was oddly familiar about the picture though. "Wait a minute, do you think they'd have my sister on file?" I asked.