Chapter 5

Since the next day was Sunday and I didn't have to work, I slept in, for a long time. I had weird dreams about the party, it was all a blur of Shane, Cole, and the creepy messages in the bottle on the shore. I lied to my aunt Allison and told her that the party was "great" and that I had a really good time. I also finally called Brooke after her calling me a million times.

"Oh my god Cate are you ok?! What happened?!" She panicked as soon as she picked up.

"Yes I'm ok/ I'm sorry that I didn't call you earlier. I just couldn't go back to the party and then I was asleep. But promise you won't tell anyone, I don't wanna start anymore drama, ok?"

"Sure, what happened?"

"Cole tried to take advantage of me, like it got really really bad. And then...then Shane came and told him off, basically."

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry. I thought Cole would be a nice guy."

"I thought he was too, when he was sober at least. But you know what they say, drunk words bring sober thoughts."

"Yeah I guess so. But Shane came to your rescue...wow."

"I know. It was totally weird. He just came out of nowhere, I don't know how he found me."

"Maybe he didn't find you."

"What do you mean?"

"Well maybe he was following you. He kept stealing glances at you the entire party."

"No. There's no way. He had so many other people to keep him entertained."

"I don't know, maybe I was seeing things, but that's what I think."

I then wasn't sure if I should bring up the note to Brooke, maybe showing her tomorrow would be easier.

She then coughed on the other line. "Well I don't feel too good, I'm gonna go, I'll see you tomorrow."

"Ok, I have something to show you at work tomorrow too, ok?"

"Ok."

The next day I walked into work feeling feeling a little bit better about things. It was a nice day but not too hot so we'd be sure to attract a decent crowd. It would be a good day.

I walked into the shop and all that positivity disappeared instantly though when I saw Shane.

"What are you doing here?" I asked.

"Well good morning to you too." He said.

"No seriously, why are you here?"

"Brooke called out today, she's sick. I'm filling in." I then looked at my phone and saw the text from Brooke.

"Great, awesome, this is just fantastic." I said once I got behind the register. We were silent for a solid two minutes.

"You really hate me, don't you?" He then asked out of the random.

"Gee I wonder why. Why are you even talking to me?"

"Because we have to be here all day."

"So you talk to me today but not right after an assult incident the other night? No 'how are you' after that or anything? And you try to torture and play these dumb pranks on me all the time."

"I helped you, shouldn't you be glad for that?"

"I am, but you didn't even give me a chance to thank you. And I could've handled it myself, I'm not that weak you know."

"I know you're not, your probably one of the strongest girls here. Gotta be strong to go through your sister dying."

"How do you know about that?"