“See what happens when you let white trash raise kids.” Jermaine shook his head. “That whole situation is tragic.”

“No, that's what happens when you don't accept Jehovah as your Lord and Savior.” Rebbie chided.

Michael rolled his eyes.

“Y’all act like he not right here with his babies.” Marlon noted.

Michael glanced down at his girls who were sound asleep after a hefty meal. He knew that it probably wasn’t good for them to hear their uncle and aunt speaking about his in-laws like this, but some part of him couldn’t help but wonder if they were right.

“Well I mean it’s not like he didn’t choose her over both of us.” Rebbie shot back.

“What are you talking about? I didn’t choose anyone over anyone.” Michael explained, clearly annoyed with Rebbie’s comments.

“You let her put her hands on me Michael. And then she acted a damn fool in front of our entire family. No shame.” Rebbie snapped.

“Rebbie you are 77 years old. I didn’t let her do anything, you let her hit you.” Michael exclaimed.

“Don’t forget how he did Jermaine.” Alejandra said.

Oh god, not this.

“You fought your hermano over her, Michael.” She continued.

Michael took a deep breath, placing his hand over Noelle’s to calm his nerves.

“Well you know what, why don’t we all just celebrate Mother?” Latoya suggested.

“Mother’s on the phone with her friend, Toya.” Rebbie said, in an effort to turn the attention back to Michael.

Alejandra started again. “Like I said, if you don’t even care about your own familia-”

“Can you shut up?” Michael interrupted.

“Hey, hey, hey now!” Jermaine shouted, leaning off the couch. “Watch who you talking to.”

“Oh god Jermaine-” Michael started, more annoyed than angry. “Or what’re you gonna do?” He asked, dramatically. “Get beat down, again? Just shut up and control your bitch.”

“Don’t say shit to me, Mike.” Jermaine demanded.

Nicole’s eyes snapped open as Jermaine jumped straight up. Michael immediately noticed his child awaken, leaned back on the couch, and kicked his feet up.

“What’s wrong mama?” Michael said to his daughter.

Just as he spoke, Rebbie chimed in. “You can’t even control your wife. Matter of fact you been raising them kids by your damn self. She ain’t worth a pot to piss in.”

Michael gave a sinister chuckle.

“Now you see my child right here wide awake, right?”

Rebbie rolled her eyes.

“Say one more thing about her mother and we’ll have a problem.” Michael explained.

Rebbie huffed. “You know what, you’ve changed. This girl has changed you.”

“At least Diana could control that ego.” Jermaine said under his breath.

Michael jumped up out of his seat--though he looked more tired than upset. He picked up Nicole and gestured for Latoya to take both of the babies into the other room.

As Latoya started out of the room with the twins, Michael followed her, approaching Jermaine.

“You can say whatever you want about anybody’s brother, sister, or even mother. But what you’re not gonna do is keep her name in your mouth.”