31 - Anything For You

Start from the beginning

"What sorts of things."

"Things about you."

This actually shocked me. "Like what?"

"Like when you went to my brother's grave even when I told you not to, homecoming, and your solo dance..."

My mind blanked. I completely forgot about my dance plus the message I said afterwards! I turned red then looked down, "Yeah, that probably sucked didn't it—"

"It was amazing. Everyone was so surprised that you could and did something like that. You're a whole different person out there when you're dancing."

"I wish I could dance now..."

"Soon. You just need to save your strength and get better before worrying about anything like that," He grinned and flicked my nose playfully.

After his words, everything was quiet between us but it wasn't awkward. My eyelids started to droop and I pulled the blankets closer to me.

"Thank you, Jace," I muttered as sleep started to get the best of me. "For staying with me."

"Anything for you, Peyton," He whispered and the last thing I felt before I fell into a dreamless sleep was Jace's fingers intertwining with mine.

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

"Dillon! Slow down!"

In the grocery store my brother was wheeling me around while running which freaked me out. Tomorrow was school and our mom shooed us out of the house to get some food for her to make us dinner. Well, she kicked Dillon out. I made a fuss about leaving. To be honest, being stuck in the house 24/7 wasn't do me any help.

"Fine," He did so grudgingly. I held all the stuff for dinner on my lap while he was in control of my wheelchair. Some people gave me weird looks considering my burns and my broken leg but I tried to ignore them the best I could.

"What else do we need?"

"Uh..." He looked at the list our mom gave us. "Gouda cheese. Why the hell do they need Gouda cheese? Why can't they use something normal like cheddar? What is a Gouda anyways?"

I rolled my eyes at my brother as we went to where the cheese was all laid out. I picked up the one we needed and looked up at him. "Got it, let's go!"

He wheeled me to where the cash registers are but then stopped halfway there. I looked at him in confusion but he had a big, evil smile on his face.

"What are you—Ah!"

My brother pushed me away from him with all his might and I went wheeling down the aisle while followed casually. When someone stepped right in front of me, I slammed forward from the impact and immediately started apologizing.

"I'm so sorry!" I said while I adjusted the stuff in my lap. "It's my brother's fault. He pushed me and I—"

I looked up and saw the wide eyes of Kayla. We just stared at each other with our mouths gaping and didn't know what to say. Dillon walked up and saw who I was with then practically started pulling me away right there.

"Wait!" Kayla cried then realized what she said and straightened up. "I, uh, I'm happy that you're okay, Peyton."

If my mouth could open any wider it would've. "Thanks..." I muttered and shuffled around with my jacket. Just being around her made me feel self-conscious about how I looked.