eighteen

one month later

"You ready!" I yell from downstairs waiting by the front door for Jack. Minutes later he comes walking down the stairs in black jeans and a bomber jacket. 

"Why are you in such a rush?" He asks as we both make our way out the door. Ignoring his question I get into his car and drive us both over to Joe's new home. "You never answered my question."

"I want to be there for Joe" I answer taking a quick glance at Jack then turn my attention back to the road in front of me. We both sit in silence the rest of the ride to Joe's. Once we get there I turn the car off and sit there for a minute watching the front door of his new home. 

"What's wrong?" Jack asks grabbing a hold of my hand making me look at him instead. I don't say anything and he nods understanding. "Let's just go in." He gives me a kiss on the cheek and opens the car door getting out. I take a deep breath and get out linking my hand with Jack's as we walk up towards Joe's house. Knocking on the door I step back and we wait a few minutes until the door opens. Joe motions for us to come in and closes the door behind him. The three of us stand there for a while before I walk up and wrap my arms around Joe. 

"How are you feeling, love?" I ask as he hugs me back. 

"It's been a while, Kasey. I'm fine now" Joe says backing away. 

"You're still not the same."

"Yes I have changed, but trust me I feel better knowing I'm not living a life full of lies now" Joe explains giving me a small smile. "How are you two?" He asks changing the subject. 

"My mom has tried reaching out to me again" I reply and Joe nods starting to walk into the kitchen with us both following. We sit down at the bar and I continue telling the story. "She told me how she's became better and that she wants to see me again."

"Are you letting her?" Joe asks. 

"I told her I would think about it, but I'm not sure."

"I forgave my mom. Maybe it's your turn to as well" Joe states making start to change my mind about never seeing her again. 

"Rene told me Thomas is in the hospital" Jack comments making me and Joe turns towards him in shock. "I guess he messed with a group of guys and they ended up hurting him badly."

"What about Josh?" Joe asks.

"He's just trying to do his time and hopefully get out early. That's how I got out so early" Jack explains and Joe nods. "How is living on your own?" He asks Joe trying to make some effort in getting those two back to the place they were before the whole accident. 

"Scary, but I like having full control over everything. Sometimes I miss having a roommate as well." 

"Don't you have a friend who lives just down the street?" I ask. 

"Yeah, Oli. Sometimes he comes over and we play video games or just go out to shop or eat" He answers. 

"Call him over so I know you're at least being a little bit productive today. Jack and I have somewhere to go. I'll see you soon" I say standing up and walking over to give Joe a hug. 

"You don't have to worry about me" He says wrapping his arms around me. 

"That's what best friends do, they worry. Now do what I said. See you" I reply kissing his cheek. I watch Joe and Jack exchange goodbyes and we make our way out the door and into the car. 

"You remind him of Madison, you know" Jack says looking over at me from the passengers side. 

"I know. He's told me that before" I say starting the car and backing out of the driveway.  

-------

so if you couldn't tell the end of the book is near. maybe one or two more chapters after this one, but that's about it. hope you love the chapter, thank you for reading xx