six

it's currently 2 in the morning while i'm editing this so there is probably typos, but that's life. next chapter will be up sometime this week

-------

"Can I come over after work today?" I ask Joe as we make our way to the front of the cafe to get ready to start the day.

"Yeah sure. Caspar's got meetings all day today so it will most likely be just me and you" He says going up to help the person standing at the counter. Remembering what Jack asked me to do the other day I find Scarlet in the back punching in. Taking a deep breath I go to tell her when she starts to talk.

"You hang out with Jack" She says making me freeze. I open my mouth to ask her how she knew, but she starts talking again. "Even after everything I told you about him and you go behind my back."

"I didn't tell you because I knew how you would've reacted" I say trying to keep my voice down so I'm not disturbing the people out front.

"He killed my sister, Kasey. He fucking killed her and you are friends with him" Scarlet says quietly almost in tears.

"Do you have prove he was the one that did it? What if there was another driver involved who could have easily been drunk and ran into them?" I ask with a slight irritation to my voice.

"Why are you sticking up for him? Shouldn't you be on my side since we are friends?"

"He's my friend as well. Plus I've heard a lot of fucking rumours about him that he has told me himself weren't real. So be pissed at me I don't care, but I'm not going to stand here and let you say it was his damn fault when you were not the one in that fucking car with him to begin with" I say beyond pissed right now. "By the way he asked me to tell you he said hi" I finish leaving before I could get her answer. Walking back out front I see Joe looking at me with concern.

"Guessing she found out" Joe says trying to lighten the mood.

"Let's just say she wasn't to happy about it." We laugh it off and get back to work. Scarlet comes out about fifteen minutes later and keeps her head down throughout the whole day while we work. Ten minutes from closing the bell rings and I look up seeing a tall blonde standing at the counter. "Hi, how are you?" I ask walking up to him.

"I'm good. How are you?" He asks looking me up and down. I give him a smile waiting for him to buy something so we can close.

"Great. What would you like?" I ask not liking this guy to well and I've only just met him.

"Is Scarlet here?" I nod and walk to the back seeing Scarlet sitting reading a magazine.

"There's someone here for you, Scarlet" I say and she gets up following me back out to the front. I lean against the door frame and watch her run into his arms. They let go from the hug and the boy looks at me again.

"Um Kasey this is Thomas, Madison's ex-boyfriend." I give her a confused look silently telling her to explain some more. "She and Thomas went to school together. They were together for two years before she dumped him for uh Jack." I nod looking Thomas over.

"Well it was nice to meet you, but I'm going to head home. You're closing tonight" I say quickly walking into the back before she could say anything else. Seeing Joe punch out I follow him and we make our way outside. "Madison's old boyfriend is here."

"Jack?"

"No his name is Thomas. Apparently she left him for Jack" I say getting more suspicious of this Thomas guy. "It's weird. He makes me uncomfortable."

"Why's that?" Joe asks as we walk to his place since neither of us brought a car today.

"Something just wasn't right when he told me he was here for Scarlet and he said he was Madison's ex-boyfriend."

"I remember when she broke up with him. He was pissed. He would always call her asking for her to take him back and suddenly started threatening her and just wouldn't leave her alone. Then he disappeared, until now" Joe explains as we make our way onto his street.

"You think he had something to do with Madison's death?" I question getting a sudden realization why he went away for a while.

"There's a possibility, but even if he did we don't have prove."

"Then we get some. I have an idea on how, but I will need your help" I say as we walk up the stairs to his flat. Getting inside we take a seat on the couch.

"You really believe Jack didn't do this, don't you?" Joe asks tilting his head at me.

"Yeah. I'm not sure why, but I trust that he's telling the truth. I still don't know his side of the story, but I still trust him. He must as well" I say remembering what I was actually supposed to be telling Joe about.

"What do you mean?" He asks getting up to grab us both something to drink.

"We hung out two days ago and he asked if I wanted to go with him to visit his family tomorrow."

"And you said.." Joe starts walking back over to the couch handing me a glass of water.

"Yes. I figured it would be better than just sitting at home" I say seeing a smile start to appear on Joe's face. "What?" I ask giving him a weird stare.

"I may not be friends with him currently, but I know how he works. I'm expecting a call all three nights you're there" Joe says sternly making me laugh.

"Okay dad. Will do" I say making him cringe.

"Ew no that's gross, but tell me what did you guys do? Did he try anything?" Joe asks like a girl after hearing her best friend just went on a date with their crush.

"We basically watched movies. At one point my mom called and I told Jack about everything that's happened in my life."

"Wait you told him about your last day at home?" Joe asks his eyes wide.

"No I left that part out for now. It's still a sensitive topic." I say and we sit in silence for a bit before I remember something Joe will freak about. "I also may have accidentally called him cute at one point." Joe's eyes go wide again almost spitting out his water.

"No you didn't. Kasey you flipping rodney!" Joe yells making me laugh.

"I mean I didn't think to much about it."

"Kasey has a crush on Jack. Kasey has a crush on Jack" Joe keeps repeating as he runs around the flat. Hearing the door unlock Joe stops and watches as Caspar walks through the door. "Kasey has a crush on Jack" He says to Caspar and continues running around the flat. Caspar looks at me with a raised eyebrow and I roll my eyes making him chuckle.

"Is what he saying true?" Caspar asks sitting down next to me.

"Well -" I start Joe cutting me off right after.

"She does don't let her tell you any different!" Joe yells from the other side of the room.

"Shut up Thatcher" Caspar says waving him off.

"I mean I don't know, maybe" I say making it come off more like a question than a statement.

"She called him cute!" Joe yells again making Caspar rolls his eyes.

"Stop yelling" Caspar says and Joe walks back sitting between the both of us. "I think he's a nice guy. You guys would be cute. Not as cute as me and Joe, but close" He says squeezing Joe.

"Okay she gets it" Joe says as Caspar squeezes him tighter.