sixteen

"You need to rest" I say walking into my living room noticing Jack rubbing his eyes in effort to try and keep himself awake.

"I can't" Jack replies. Walking over to the front of the couch I stand in front of Jack and grab a hold of his hands helping him up. He lays his head on my shoulder I walk upstairs and into my bedroom. 

"You need to try" I say pulling away my duvet and sitting him down. Turning on my television I put on a movie and lay down next to Jack. He rolls over laying on top of me and rests his head on my chest. I notice the bags under his eyes making me frown knowing these past couple of weeks have to be hard on him.

"I just want this all to end" Jack says barely audible. I run my hands through his hair while he continues. "I can't walk outside without people staring at me and now it's even worse because Thomas got arrested. I miss hanging out with my old friends. I've never got to show you around town because the looks people would give both you and me." 

"Everything will work out."

"How do you know?" Jack asks resting his head so he's looking up at me. 

"You have more people on your side than you realize." 

"It doesn't feel like it. To everyone I'm just someone who killed another people and tried blaming a drunk driver when there was no other car in sight."

"Your mom, dad, Conor, Anna, Joe, Caspar and me know this isn't your fault. Joe and Caspar miss you Jack. They don't think you were the one to do this. They were scared of what people would think. People do dumb things when scared." 

"Did Joe say if he was coming to the trial?" Jack asks after a few minutes of silence. 

"He is. Along with Caspar" I reply and he nods. "Now that's out of the way. Please try to sleep." He doesn't answer making me sigh knowing this will be harder than I thought. "Remember when I had that nightmare about my mother?"

"Yeah, but what does -"

"Shush and listen" I say making him smile. "You told me after we talked that night having someone there with you makes it easier. I listened to you and turns out you were right. Now I'm telling you the same thing. Having someone there makes it easier" I finish and he rolls off laying next to me. I turn to face him and lay my forehead against his. 

"Why did you believe me?"Jack asks wrapping his arms around my waist pulling me closer to him. 

"That's a story for another time" I answer placing a kiss on his lips. 

"I have to tell you a secret" Jack whispers his voice becoming more faint with each word as he begins to fall asleep. 

"What's your secret?" I ask amused.

"You're really pretty." 

"Go to sleep Romeo. You're over-tired" I chuckle making him smile. 

"I know, but promise to stay?"

"Promise, now sleep" I reply placing a kiss on his cheek.