four

As light begins to shine through my blinds I slowly open my eyes and look over at my alarm clock seeing it's almost 6 in the morning. Rolling over I see Joe fast asleep with a smile placed on his face. I press a light kiss to his cheek and climb out of bed. Walking over to my wardrobe I pull out shorts and a sports bra. Going into the bathroom I close the door and change into my running clothes. Taking off my glasses I put my contacts in then tie my hair up into a pony tail. I go back out into my bedroom and put on my adidas running shoes. Unlocking Joe's phone I go to the notes app and write him a note telling him where I'm going and around the time I will be back. Locking his phone I set it back down and walk out the door. Hearing a small knock on the door I tilt my head wondering who would be up at this time. Opening the door I see Jack standing there looking like he just woke up.

"Morning" He says his voice deeper than usual caused by him just waking up.

"Morning, what are you doing here at 6 in the morning?" I ask tilting my head making him smile a little.

"Couldn't sleep. Going on a run?"

"Yeah. You wanna come with?" I ask walking back into the kitchen to grab a granola bar and a water.

"Sure. I'll just go back to the house and change quick" Jack says starting to walk back towards the front door.

"I'll go with." Jack opens his mouth, but quickly closes it deciding against what he was going to say. I follow Jack out the door and lock it behind me. We walk over to his house and before we head inside he stops me. Watching him he opens his mouth again, but closes it deciding once again to not say what was on his mind. "Tell me. I won't be judgmental."

"It's nothing. I'm fine."

"Say it, Jack."

"It just I haven't had a friend in my house for well over a year now and it's just weird, I guess." Jack says looking down at his feet. I lift his chin up making him look at me.

"There's nothing to worry about. I won't run away like others did. Everyone deserves a chance to prove them-self right." Jack breaks away from our stare and walks into the house. I sigh and follow him in. Looking around I notice how similar it looks to mine.

"Sorry I didn't want anyone to give us weird looks."

"Your house is pretty. I like the colours" I say trying to change the subject so he doesn't start to think more about the stares he normally gets when he steps foot outside.

"I'll go change." I watch as he runs up the stairs shutting his door. Looking around the house I notice only a couple of photo frames set on top of a book shelve. Picking up one of them I notice him with Joe and a girl with dirty blonde hair standing in the middle of the two. Joe and the girl are laughing at something while Jack looks at the girl with a smile on his face. "It's Madison" Jack says making me jump.

"Shit" I say holding my heart.

"Sorry didn't mean to scare you."

"She's pretty" I say looking at the photo once more before setting it back on the book shelve.

"I was always afraid of Joe suddenly stealing her, but then he came to my house one day and introduced me to his boyfriend."

"Caspar?" I question and Jack nods. "They're still together."

"I'm glad. He deserves having someone who loves him that much" Jack says looking down at the ground. Not saying a word I walk up to him and pull him into a hug. He pulls back a little making me look at him.

"Don't make me hit you. Give me a damn hug" I say making him chuckle and wrap his arms around my waist. "Can we go on a run? Or do you not want to now?"

"No we can, but I'm picking where we go" Jack says letting go from the hug.

"Then let's go."

------

Hearing my phone going off I pick it up seeing Joe is calling. Sliding to answer I hold my phone up to my ear.

Joe - When you coming back? I'm hungry.

Me - I just got back from my run. I'll be over in a few.

Joe - You're at Jack's, aren't you?

Me - Yeah. He wanted to come with.

Joe - Can you tell him I said hi.

Me - Changed your mind?

Joe - I've been thinking about it. Just come over so we can go get food.

Me - Okay be over in a few.

Joe - Bye.

Before I could say bye back Joe hangs up the phone. I set it back on the counter and look at Jack seeing him watching me. "Joe told me to tell you he said hi."

"Really?" Jack asks surprised.

"Yeah. His exact words were can you tell him I said hi."

"Oh well tell him I said hi back when you go home."

"I'm off work for another two days. You want to hang out tomorrow?"

"Yeah, sure." I give Jack quick hug before grabbing my phone and walking towards his front door. "How's Scarlet?" I stop and turn around facing Jack. He looks at me waiting for my answer.

"She's okay. Your still not her favourite person, but she's doing okay" I say truthfully. Jack nods looking like he was going to say something, but decided against it.

"What were you going to say?"

"When you see her next say I said hi. I need to know if she still hates me" Jack says his voice cracking.

"Don't worry. Everything will turn out okay."

"How are you so sure?"

"You're a good person. Without knowing the whole story I have a feeling this wasn't your fault and you do too. Just believe everything will work out."

"Thanks, love" Jack says trying to hide his smile.

"See you tomorrow and don't change from your pyjamas."

"Will do. Bye Kasey."

"Bye Jack."