4. Happier

December 22nd, 2016.

It was Niall.

The guy in Vic's phone two years and a half ago was Niall.

So is the guy standing right in front of me right now.

I arrived to the city on Monday, and asked Vic if I could see her before she locked herself up to study for her January finals. Since I left to Hamburg in early September, we couldn't see each other. We've kept talking though, and I feel like we're a lot closer than we've ever been since our breakup.

I just want to see her to know that it's not all in my mind. Because through as screen, no matter how powerful the sensation, you can never really tell.

She finishes her classes at 7:30pm so we've decided to meet for a coffee afterwards. We agreed I'd pick her up at her uni.

What I did not expect was to meet Vic's boyfriend there.

Of course Niall doesn't know who I am. And I wouldn't have paid attention to him if it weren't because I heard some English as I was walking to the door.

It's extremely weird to hear English, so I glance to where the sound comes from.

I spot two boys, one tall and brunette and a second blond one and an older man. I immediately recognize Niall, since I've seen his face in Vic's profile picture every time I talk with her.

I know the tall one is also from the band, but I have no idea what his name is. The man must be Niall's father, since they look quite alike and I could've sworn the brunette boy has called him 'Mr. Horan' a couple of times.

I sit near them and try to listen to their conversation.

"Are we on time?" Niall asks.

There's no answer.

"Harreh"

Oh, that's right, Harry Styles, that makes sense.

"What?" Harry asks.

"Are we on time?"

"Yes, Niall, we are on time" Harry says, "Her classes end in ten minutes"

"Oh, man" Niall chuckles nervously, "I'm nervous"

"You don't say" Mr. Horan laughs, patting his son's back, "don't worry, she's gonna be thrilled to see you here"

I hide a smile.

She doesn't know he's here.

It makes sense. I found it weird that Vic had told me to meet her and that she was planning on introducing me to her boyfriend without giving me any heads up.

I take out my phone and type:

Mind if I take a rain check on that coffee? Something just came up.

I know she probably hates me right now, because it's not the first time I've done this to her. If rain checks were an actual thing, I would've run out of them a while ago. But I also know she'll forgive me as soon as she steps outside the building and sees Niall.

I stand up and walk away from the university, far enough so she doesn't see me, but close enough to see everything that will happen.

Students start walking out of the building, laughing and chatting way too loudly.

"You're not in Germany anymore" my brain reminds me.

Why are we Spanish so loud?

I see the people hugging each other goodbye, shouting at each other requesting a promise that they'll text each other during the holidays. Texts that will probably never be sent.

And then there's Vic.

She giggles looking behind at one of her friends, as the girl next to her stares around. She's the one who spots Niall.

She's skinnier than the last time I saw her, or maybe it's because of the light. She's wearing a dark green coat and a thick scarf around her neck.

Compared to the weather in Hamburg, this temperature feels like a spring day. But Vic's always been the kind of person who's cold at the slightest decrease of temperature. Even in summer, her hands were extremely cold.

I see Vic's friend tapping her shoulder and pointing at Niall's direction.

Vic, still giggling, turns to her and her eyes follow the finger until they almost pop out of her head.

I hear her squeal and she runs to Niall, him spinning her around as they hug each other and he kisses her cheek.

"What on Earth are you doing here?" I hear her ask laughing, hugging Niall again.

She lets go of him a bit later and also hugs Niall's dad and Harry tight.

I smile. She looks so happy.

I see her chat with Harry and Niall walk over to her group of friends and start talking to them too. I only recognize one of them, which feels weird because Vic and I were still dating when she entered uni. I guess she mad new friends on the following years and never really told me about them. Or maybe she did and I didn't pay much attention. Yup, that sounds like me.

Vic's friends laugh at something Niall has said, causing Vic to turn around and walk to them, joining the conversation and playfully nudging Niall when he reveals the comment that made her friends laugh.

I realise there's a smile printed on my face as I watch everything from afar.

My smile quickly fades away and I sigh heavily.

I really should get out of here.

I glance at them one last time just to see Vic hiding Niall's arm and him placing a kiss on her forehead.

I should feel happy for her. I should be happy that's she's no longer the insecure girl I went out with and has changed for the better. I should be happy that she's grown up to be this amazing person, caring, outgoing, funny and confident.

I should feel happy that she's found someone to love, but most importantly, someone who loves her back.

I should feel happy for her.

But I don't.

I'm not angry or jealous either. But for some reason I just can't be genuinely happy for her.

And that's fucked up.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

[A/N: Another week, another chapter AND GREAT NEWS!

I've FINALLY figured the whole story out. Just to let you know (don't know if you're interested, but I like keeping you updated), I don't think this will be a very long story. Something along the lines of 20 chapters, maybe less, depends on how the inspiration comes. Although I want to tell you a lot of things so hopefully it'll stay as planned!

PS: If you've made the connection that had to be made in this chapter, I'll love you forever. If not, I'll still love you and I'll let you know about it in the following chapter!

PSS (that correct?): Voting and feedback are extremely appreciated! (And I feel extremely lame for having typed that, sorry)

Anyway, hoped you liked it! x]