1. Ever Since New York

July 21st, 2016.

My relationship with Victoria starts way back than the day I asked her out.

She had been my best friend for two years before I started seeing her as something more. Truth is I had never imagined she would become my best friend, let alone someone I would end up loving more than I had ever loved anyone.

But there was something about her. And something about me as well. The way we understood each other, the way we worked together.

She listened and cared, which was something no one had done in a really long time. And I appreciated that. She tried to understand me, she tried to help and I did the same. We healed each other, in some way. She became family. She became, as I said before, a place to call home.

During the time we were together, she made me dream big about our future. Which was weird, because I've never been the dreaming type of guy. I couldn't see us ending. No matter how many years ahead I looked, she was there, with me.

But it ended. After three years, I realized I didn't feel the same. That something was missing. So I let her go. And she let me go.

I think it was hard on her. Harder than she'll ever care to admit. I still feel bad for making her go through that, but I know it would have been much worse to keep a relationship I didn't want to be in anymore.

I didn't want to lose her though. And maybe it was a nasty move from me. Maybe I should have let her go completely. But I couldn't.

That's why I told her I still wanted us to be friends. That's why I kept talking to her about my problems, about my new girls, about my personal life. Maybe I was a dick. But she's still here, and that's enough for now.

It's 7am when the alarm wakes me up.

I never thought I'd have to wake up this early in summer, but considering the time-difference, if I wanted to talk to Victoria, this had to be done.

We've talked a little bit before she has excused herself saying she had to meet some friend for lunch and has left me with the intrigue. I hate it when she does that.

I walk to the kitchen to make some coffee. I walk to the sitting room and turn the computer on, taking my mobile and typing: 'I'm ready. Skype?'

As an answer, the incoming call tone exits from my laptop. I'm alone so there's no way this could wake anyone, but I quickly press the green button before it keeps ringing and greet Victoria with a yawn.

"Happy birthday, sleepyhead" she giggles.

"Shut up" I say rolling my eyes and taking a sip of the coffee.

"Hey!" she protests, "Next time I'm not wishing you a happy birthday!"

"Fiiiiine... Thank you..." I drag the words, rolling my eyes.

I can't help but smile immediately afterwards. She remembered, which is something.

"Whatever you have to tell me better be good because you made me wake up at 7am on my birthday"

"You were the one insisting I told you before I went to sleep"

"You're the one who's on the other side of the world!" I fire back.

We laugh and I sigh.

"All right, tell me"

"What do you want me to tell you?"