chapter 14

Marco's POV

I roll over in bed seeing Alli standing at the bottom of the bed just looking at me but her figure is hazy.

I blink the sleep out of my eyes and I stretch for my phone on the night table but it's not there. I stretch out my hands and I find it on the bed.

I shine my phone light to the bottom of the bed but of course there was nothing there it was just a figment of my imagination.

I run my hands through my hair sitting up against the headboard. I close my eyes and rest my head back sighing.

I check the time and it reads 2:05am.

I hear talking coming from the baby monitor on the night stand and I take it up placing it near my ear.

I know Ms. Frankson left hours ago and Vecko should be sleeping so who is he talking to.

"No Bubi doesn't. " Vecko giggles and I hear a voice say something to him but it was low, I could even figure out if it was a male or a female.

I jump out of bed and race to his room. I push open the door but he sits alone just looking at nothing in particular.

"Who else was in here?" I rush over to him.

"Nobody." His innocent eyes look at me.

"Who were you talking to Evecko?" My eyes bore through his

"Mommy. She say she come home soon." He smiles. "So you don't cry no mo'".

I sigh shaking my head. His imagination is a little too much for me to handle right now.

I check the window in his room and it's sealed shut. I take the stairs two at a time but the alarm is set and there is no sign of anybody here.

"Come you can sleep with me." I tell him once I get back to his room where he stands looking out the window.

"Ok." He walks ahead of me to my room.

********

I roll over in bed but stop when something presses against my side. Laying curled up beside me is Vecko and he sleeps so bad. Is foot is in my side and his head hanging off the bed.

I quietly ease out bed and fix him properly. I head towards the bathroom to take a shower before Vecko wakes.

I walk down the stairs freshly showered and ready for the day ahead of me. I decide to make breakfast since I haven't ate in three days.

I go to press the coffee machine button but my fingers hover over it as I see it's already on.

I can't remember turning it on when I came in but I guess my mind was so preoccupied that I didn't realize when I did.

I open the fridge and take out three eggs but a knock sounds at the door. I place the eggs carefully on the counter and move towards the door.

I open the door and see who it is. "What ever you're selling I'm not buying." I shut the door in D and Reggie's face.

I walk back to the kitchen and hear the door opening then it closes.

"Yes! You're cooking. I haven't ate in hours. " D walks in. "Bruh ion want no damn egg. I walk some Caribbean food." He complains.

"Weh mi step son deh?" Reggie sits at the island. (Where's my stepson?)

"Sleeping." I answer.

"I'll be back." D heads out the kitchen and I assume he's going to the bathroom.

"Mi carry di sumn dem weh yuh did buy fi carry up." Reggie tells me.(I brought the things you bought to bring up.)