Chapter 21

This chapter is 2465 words and I am way too lazy to edit it, so here *throws my unedited writing at you*

I walked up the beach, heading for the center of camp, the Big House. I knew I needed to tell Chiron we were back with an extra.

I climbed the front steps of the pale blue house, Nico right behind me and Peyton kind of lagging behind, a lost look on his face. Leading our trio to Chiron's door, I started to become nervous, bouncing on the balls of my feet anxiously. Nico rested a cold hand on my shoulder, silently telling me to take a chill pill. I took a deep breath and pushed open the door to his office, not bothering to knock since I had figured out a while ago he didn't care if campers barged in, unlike a certain wine god. As the door swung open, Chiron looked up from his desk, where he was seated in his wheelchair, his normally warm eyes cold and calculating. I gulped. We were so screwed. I was an idiot for thinking I could lie to Chiron, even if it wasn't a complete lie, thanks to Nico. The activities director had a way of knowing everything. We silently took the seats in front of his desk.

"You lied and went to the Underworld. Another camper got hurt because of your actions. Then you went to the other side of the country and brought back a mortal? Mira, I know you're new to the demigod life style but this is not what we do. And Nico, you should know better than this. And now we have to wipe this mortal's memory and send him back, which is inconvenient for everyone," Chiron scolded, his eyes and voice completely void of emotion. I wanted to correct him, saying I hadn't lied, but that wasn't entirely true, because at the time I had planned on it being a lie, but Nico shook his head at me, knowing what I was thinking and warning me against it. But I wasn't done.

"His name is Peyton Messford and he's not a-" I began but was cut off.

"Neither of you will not be allowed to participate in capture the flag and-" he continued when I opened my mouth to protest, giving me a stern look, "you, Mira, will be on kitchen patrol for a month." I cringed. Lava made me skittish, it being my opposite and all.

"Don't you think you're being a bit harsh?" Peyton suddenly piped up, his eyes narrowed. My own eyes widened as I shook my head at him, but he either didn't see me or ignored me. He was going to make this worse.

Chiron's eyes shifted from Nico and I to Peyton, and I saw an expression I'd never thought I'd see on him: anger. And let me tell you, an angry Chiron is scary.

"Isn't camp for camp activities? Like, don't take my word for it, but if I even have a bit of smarts in me, it'd be for what camp implies," he continued, not getting the hint that he should shut up. "To take away capture the flag, you lose more than able kids with amazing abilities, leaders within the fight to take the flag back."

Suddenly Chiron's expression changed, his arms crossed and amused smile settled upon his lips. "And you know what capture the flag here at Camp Half Blood tests?" He challenged. "You've just arrived, you have a lot to learn, Peyton Messford."

Peyton leaned forward, a grin upon his face, "I have, but of course a game at this camp is dangerous, yeah? Who wouldn't have fun hacking at another till they're at their knees? These two need their strength, no matter how strong, no matter how weak. Everyone needs to improve their strength to be a bit of a help within a war that you may not know of."

Chiron sat back in his chair, eyes trained on the vitiligo child's as they held a silent argument that Nico and I were left out of. "Said like a true Victor," Chiron said with an approving nod, breaking the silence. He then stood, releasing his horse half from the wheelchair, to shake Peyton's hand. Peyton stared at Chiron's lower half as they shook hands and I sniggered, glancing at Nico. He rolled his eyes.

"Grow up," he mumbled, knowing exactly why I was laughing. I shook my head, grinning childishly.

"Yo... are you messing with me?" Peyton questioned, looking at us. I shrugged while Nico shook his head. Peyton sat back down, mumbling to himself, "I'm going to have to get used to this kind of stuff, aren't I?" Chiron gave a loud belly laugh, nodding at the confused boy. Peyton seemed to get lost in thought as Chiron turned to us once more.