Chapter 1

A/N: hey guys! I know I said Mira was 13, but this is the day of her thirteenth birthday, so no one gets confused. Also, the picture is supposed to look like Jake, but it doesn't really. Closest thing I could get. Use your imagination to make him a lot hotter, and slightly more muscular.

"Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me," I sang quietly to myself. I had finally become a teenager, but everyone was acting so weird around me. My mom had looked like she was about to have a panic before I left for school. Then, when Terran met me at the bus stop, his eyes kept darting around, like he was afraid someone was following us. I swear he was sweating.

We were sitting on the bus on our way to school. I had the window seat, and I was watching the scenery fly by as I sang to myself.

As we pulled into Ocoee Middle School, Terran whispered "meet me by the bleachers in 5."

"Wait, why?" I asked, but it was to late. He had already disappeared off the bus. I wondered how he had left so quickly even though he had a birth defect that made him walk funny (hint hint). "Ooookaaaay," I said uncertainly as I picked up my bag and headed down the aisle to get off the bus.

As I stepped off, I was swept away by my other best friend... And crush... But he didn't know that. And he didn't need to.

"Hey Jake," I said, heading for the football field with him by my side. Jake had moved to Ocoee at the beginning of the school year. We had become friends instantly, but I started crushing on him later. He had dark blonde-ish/light brown hair, beautiful blue eyes, and a lean, but muscular build. He was about 5'11", only about 3 inches taller than me, and 14 years old, but only because he started school late.

"Don't 'hey Jake' me!" He said. "You didn't tell me it was your birthday!" He exclaimed, poking me in the side and making me squeak. Stupid ticklishness.

"Sorry," I said.

"That's it? Sorry? Not even a text!" He said, pouting. I laughed at his adorable face.

"I'm sorry. I just haven't felt really into it today. Just doesn't feel right. Everyone's acting weird," I said.

"I know what will help," he said, dragging me to my locker.

"Hey! Wait! I need to go to the bleachers," I said, pulling against him, but it was no use. Football practice had made him pretty buff. Not fair.

We finally stopped next to my locker. "Open it," he ordered, an excited look on his face. I gave him a wary look of my own before putting in the combination and swinging open the door.

"Oh, Jake! You didn't have to!" I said, picking up the gorgeous horse bridle.

"You know I did. You've been staring at that thing for weeks!" He said. I pulled him into a hug, wrapping my arms around his neck. I felt him hug me back, his arms around my waist and I sighed contently. The only good thing about being best friends with your crush is that it wasn't weird when we did stuff like this.

I pulled back a second later. "I gotta go meet Terran. Meet you in first period," I said, hurrying down the hall after putting the bridal in my locker and slamming it shut.

As I walked out the doors I noticed storm clouds in the sky. It looked like it was going to rain. Hard. The wind picked up, causing my hair to whip across my face. I pushed against it, heading for the spot behind the bleachers where Terran was waiting.

I ducked under them, fighting to stay balanced. The wind was getting stronger, picking up small potted plants and ripping patches of grass out of the ground.

"Can't we do this inside?" I screamed at Terran over the wind. He had that same panic attack look my mom had had this morning. He shook his head violently.

"Listen, Mira. I know this is gonna sound crazy bu-" he was interrupted as the bleachers began to move. We backed up quickly to avoid the metal benches, losing our only protection from the wind.

"What?!" I yelled back to him.

"Sorry! It's gonna have to wait! I can barely hear you!" He shouted. Suddenly something hit me and knocked me over.

"Ouch!" I whipped around to see what it was, but all I could see was a storm cloud racing through the sky... Wait, that was moving way too fast to be a storm cloud. I squinted my eyes, trying to get a good look at the fast moving form. It looked like some kind of animal, but made out of storm clouds. "What the hell is that?!" I screamed, pointing at the- the THING. I'm not usually one to curse, but this felt like an appropriate time to do so. Terran's eyes widened.

"Inside. Now!" He yelled, grabbing my hand and pulling me towards the doors, nearly ripping off my arm in the process.

As we neared the doors, I could see a dark figure standing next to them. He made a movement, as if he was trying to wave at us to move faster, but instead the doors slammed shut. Terran and I ran to them, banging on the doors and pulling at the handles. They didn't budge. We were stuck outside in the storm.

A/N: so what do you guys think? Good first chapter? Let me know by commenting and voting! Please share this story with your friends. I have lots of ideas for the next few chapters. Let's see how many views this gets!

-nocturnal_writer