Chapter 3

A/N: This is my late Christmas present to you guys. This book is still on hold due to school and midterms coming up, but I figured I'd give you a quick little chappie as a "Happy Holidays" from me. Enjoy!

Terran, Jake and I walked out of the school building and stopped in the parking lot.

"So how are we getting to my house?" I asked. Terran was silent for a second before shrugging.

"I guess we're walking. Your house isn't that far," he reasoned. Jake and I groaned as the three of us started in the direction of my house. As we walked down the sidewalk I looked at Terran's legs again. Explains the 'birth defect' I thought to myself. Jake gave me a look that told me he knew exactly what I was thinking, even though we both had no clue what was going on.

As we turned the corner to my street I asked, "so you want to tell us what all that was?" Terran shook his head quickly.

"Talking about it will only draw more attention to us," he said, keeping his voice down and looking around warily. I sighed in frustration.

We walked up the driveway to my house and I unlocked the door. "Mom, I'm home early!" I called out as I walked inside. "And I brought Jake and Terran!" I heard no answer so I walked into the kitchen. My mom was sitting at the table, looking at an old necklace in her hand that I had never seen before. It looked kind of like a trident with a few little charms hanging on the simple silver chain. She looked up from the necklace, staring at me with wide eyes. She glanced at Terran and seemed to have a silent conversation before she gave him a quick nod.

"I know your confused but right now you need to pack your things. We need to get you to safety," she said, getting up pressing the necklace into my palm.

"What about dad?" I asked, referring to my step dad who was the only father I had ever known. My real dad had left my mom before I was born. They were never married and I guess he just couldn't handle the responsibility of having a kid.

"I'll explain everything to him. Now go," she ordered, pushing me towards the hallway. I quickly walked out of the kitchen, down the hallway and up the stairs to my room with Terran and Jake on my heels. I slipped the necklace into my pocket before pulling down my backpack that, despite the size, was always able to fit everything I needed. It had been a mysterious gift left on our doorstep on my 12th birthday.

I set the backpack on my bed and started shoving clothes and all my necessities in it. I saw Jake move in the corner of my eye. He went to my bookshelf and grabbed my favorite books, the complete Harry Potter series, and brought them to my bed. I smiled up at him. He knows me so well I thought as I put the books in my bag.

I finished packing and zipped up my backpack, hurrying back down the stairs with the boys once again right behind me. My mom was already waiting out in the hall for us. She ushered the three of us out into the driveway. We all piled into the blue Ford Mustang before taking off down the road, way faster than the speed limit. Terran gripped the handle of the door on the passenger's side while Jake and I were thrown against our seats in the back.

"Are you planning on driving all the way to New York?" Terran asked, turning a bit green. New York? I wondered, shooting Jake a look.

"Of course not," my mom responded. "We're getting them on a boat. It's safest for her." At this point I gave up on trying to understand what was going on. It was all just too much. I stared out the window, willing my mind to stop racing.

About a half an hour or so later we pulled up to a boat marina. My mom got out of the car and spoke to the apparent owner of the marina. They seemed to have an argument before she pushed some golden coins into his hands and he promptly shut up, seeming to agree with whatever she wanted. She motioned for us to get out of the car. As we did so I heard the boat warden mutter something about demigods from Florida to New York not being cheap. I raised an eyebrow at Jake and he just shrugged.

The boat warden led us to a small yacht, taking my things below deck as we got on the boat.

"I could definitely get used to this," I heard Jake say, causing me to crack a smile. I felt the motor start as I watched my mom climb off the boat.

"Aren't you coming?" I asked, raising my voice slightly above the noise. She shook her head, smiling sadly.

"I can't. I'm sorry Mira. I can't go where you're going. And I need to explain this to your father and Jake's mom," she said. I felt my lip start to quiver as I fought the tears springing into my eyes. No. You're not going to cry I internally told myself. I didn't know how, but I knew I wouldn't be seeing my mom for a long time. I tried to run to my mom but the boat lurched away from the dock. Somehow I maintained my balance as I stood at the edge of the deck, watching my mom wave as the boat headed out to sea. Eventually she faded from view along with the land and I sat down next to Jake, my head in my hands. He wrapped his arm around me comfortingly as I rested my head on his shoulder. I guess my eyes closed and I fell asleep in his arms. (A/N: THIS IS NOT OKAY I'M FANGIRLING OVER MY OWN WRITING BUT I SHIP IT I'M SORRY)

The next thing I knew I woke up to the captain yelling LAND HOOOOO in the loudest voice ever and my eyes snapped open. I rubbed them sleepily and looked up at Jake, who had apparently just woken up too.

"What time is it?" I asked, yawning.

He glanced at his watch, "4:52." I looked at him in confusion.

"It's only been a few hours and we're already here?"

"Maybe we're just stopping for a little while," he answered. I shook my head. I knew we were in New York somehow. Long Island, New York to be exact.

The boat pulled into the dock of another marina and the motor was cut. Jake and I climbed off the yacht as Terran came up from below deck, looking a bit sick with a piece of an aluminum can sticking out of his mouth. As I stood on land I could feel the energy slowly drain out of me and I leaned against Jake for support. He gave me a worried look. I nodded at him, silently telling him I was fine. He didn't seem convinced but he let it go, taking my backpack from the captain as it was brought to the dock. He nearly dropped it from the weight.

"Jeez Mira, what did you put in this thing? Bricks?" (A/N lol Brason!) he asked, hauling the backpack into his shoulder. I chuckled and shook my head. It may be able to fit everything and not seem over stuffed, but it was still as heavy as everything in it.

We gave a quick goodbye to the captain then walked out of the marina, which was pretty much in the middle of no where. Just one road leading through some farm land and trees. Terran seemed to know where he was going though so Jake and I followed him. He seemed to have recovered a bit from his sea sickness and I was used to being back on land now. We walked what was probably a few miles before coming to a big hill. Terran was already halfway up the hill, a spring in his step and a big smile on his face.

"We're here! And no more monsters!" He smiled. Jake and I chuckled and shook our heads at his goofiness. We came to the crest of the hill and stood next to a large pine tree, looking down the other side of the hill. It was just an ordinary strawberry farm with a rundown little house. Terran stepped past the pine tree and seemed to disappear. My eyes widened as I looked at Jake.

"You saw that too right?" I asked. He nodded. Suddenly Terran's hands made a reappearance and they grabbed each of our arms, pulling us past the invisible barrier.

A/N: Yup! I'm leaving it at that. This chapter is already at around 1,500 words and I need to get back to being lazy so you're stuck with this for now. Haha sorry not sorry XD

-nocturnal_writer