Chapter 10

"Warn us about what?" Jake snapped harshly. I turned to face my dad in time to see his eyes flash dangerously, but Jake didn't back down. He stared right back at the glare my dad was giving him.

"Cut it out you two," I said, moving away from Jake to put my arms out between them, as if to stop them from attacking each other. My father's eyes softened immediately at my protective movement and he beckoned me toward him. I stepped toward him cautiously, looking skeptical. He gave me a look that said trust me and pressed his palm to my forehead. I gasped and my eyes rolled backwards.

Images flashed through my head. A snake, then a woman, then children.

I felt air fill my lungs as I snapped back into reality. I looked up into the concerned eyes of Jake. My head and my back hurt from hitting the dock. I sat up with Jake's help, rubbing my head as I looked around. My dad was gone. I got to my feet unsteadily, holding onto the son of Aether for stability.

"What did you see?" He asked, gently holding onto my waist.

"U-um a bunch of images... They didn't make any sense though," I trailed off.

"I think we need to go see Chiron. He might know what just happened," he suggested. I nodded and he started walking toward the big house, leading me along.

We stepped up onto the porch and Jake opened the door for me, bowing playfully, "for you, m'lady."

"Why thank you, good sir," I curtsied, giggling. I stepped inside and he followed closely behind, shooting me a wink as he stepped around me, and walking down the hall to Chiron's office. I could hear Frank Sinatra's voice blasting inside. Jake rapped on the door and the music immediately shut off as Chiron called us in. We stepped into the cozy office and took a seat.

"Chiron, my dad came to visit," I said in response to Chiron's questioning look. This caused his eyes to widen in surprise.

"Well that's unusual," he said, seemingly deep in thought.

"He made me see something... A woman... And there was a snake and children," I said, frowning slightly. Chiron's brow furrowed as well.

"Was the snake wrapped around someone's arm?" He asked. I gave him a shocked look and nodded. "Lamia," he muttered. "Why would he show you this?"

"He said he wanted to warn us," I said, shooting a worried look at Jake. He gave me a small, comforting smile that soothed my nerves. I was completely on-edge. The name Lamia gave me the creeps. I looked back to Chiron to see him nodding in understanding.

"This most likely means there is a quest to come," he said, his wise eyes settling on his fingertips that were pressed together in front of his face (A/N: like Dumbledore!).

Jake shifted next to me in anticipation. He had always been one that wanted to prove himself to others. I knew he was anxious for a quest. Of course, I was nervous. We had only been at camp for a couple of short weeks and weren't as skilled as some of the other long-time campers. I gave him a knowing look and he avoided my gaze. I could tell he felt guilty about wanting to go. We had known each other for so long I could tell what he was thinking.

"I think it's time you meet our Oracle," Chiron said, interrupting my attempt to get Jake to look at me. He stood from his wheelchair and his white stallion lower half came into view. That was a sight I'd have to get used to. He trotted out of the office as we stood and followed behind. The centaur led us out of the big house, into the woods and to the mouth of a cave. I gave Jake a skeptical look before I saw movement in the cave. Immediately I was tense, focusing on the shape shifting around in the shadows. My worry was for nothing, though, as only a seemingly harmless redhead girl stepped out. (A/N: usually she would be in school, but I'm going by Trials of Apollo, and she's currently in camp)

"Jake, Mira, meet Rachel Elizabeth Dare, our oracle," Chiron introduced the red head. She smiled kindly at us, her freckles and colorful clothing giving her a slightly goofy look.

"Hi! So I'm guessing something godly or monsterly happened and now you need me to predict something, right?" She asked, bouncing slightly on her toes. Chiron nodded.

"Poseidon decided to give his daughter a visit and a vision as a parting gift," he said, nodding to me. Rachel's eyes widened as she looked me over, muttering something under her breath about Percy and eyes. She snapped out of it and nodded, stepping forward and taking my hands. Her eyes glowed and green mist flowed from her mouth. My eyes closed as the images flashed through my mind again.

"Child of the sea and child of Aether along with a guide,
Find the lair where the enemy will hide.
Unspoken love may end in heartbreak
Depending on which path you choose to take.
One will not return, no matter the choice,
So another will be forced to use their voice.
Another quest will begin as the first comes to a close,
And two will disappear into the shadows."

"What the hell," were the first words out of Jake's mouth as the green mist disappeared and Rachel returned to her normal smiling self. I slapped Jake's arm lightly. He knew I hated when he talked like that. I was still in shock from hearing the prophecy. It was all so strange and sudden and none of it made sense to me. I looked around for Chiron to see if he had any realizations, but it seemed the centaur had already taken his leave.

"Thank you, Rachel. We'd better go now," I said, flashing her a quick smile as I dragged a shell-shocked Jake out of the cave. I pulled him to the strawberry fields, which had become one of my favorite places at camp when no one was around. I sat on the ground in a small area clear of strawberry plants and pulled my best friend down next to me. I scanned his face quickly, his eyes betraying the calmness of his face. "Are you okay?" I asked, already knowing the answer, but wanting him to tell me anyway.

"Not really," he choked out. I pulled him into a hug, rubbing his back. He hugged me back lightly, resting his chin on my shoulder. After I pulled back he stood up, brushing off dirt. "I'm gonna go think for a while, okay?" He asked. I nodded and stood as well as Jake turned and walked away. I watched him go before walking slowly to my cabin. I needed to talk to Percy.

A/N: IT IS VIRTUALLY IMPOSSIBLE TO FIND A GREEK MYTH THAT RICK HASN'T ALREADY USED WTF SO I JUST USED ONE FROM THE DEMIGOD DIARIES BECAUSE NOT EVERYONE HAS READ THAT OKAY (plus this is gonna be totally different because I have no idea how that story actually went). Also, I'm horrible at writing poetry so that prophecy took a really long time to come up with, so that's why it took so long to update.
***important question: would y'all be interested in a Percy POV next chapter?***