Can't Pretend [Vikklan]

Start from the beginning

oh oh oh.

Vik was amazed at how this night turned into many other nightly meetings. The two teenagers never said anything to each other, but the silence that accompanied them was comfortable. 

Lachlan always arrived after Vik. Except for one night. One night, Lachlan was already sitting beside the icy cold water, his light-brown hair blowing in the wild wind.

"Why so early?" Vik asked, after joining him.

Lachlan shrugged, not taking his gaze from the sky. "I had a quick nap earlier after filming a video, had a nightmare, and I knew it was no use even trying to sleep."

Vik wondered what sort of nightmare Lachlan had really had. He didn't have to wonder long.

About two nights after that night, Vik arrived at his special place and found Lachlan asleep, perched precariously on the side of the lake. Vik rushed forwards and pulled him away from the water, so that he wouldn't fall in, and sat him against a nearby tree. Luckily, he didn't wake up. Vik frowned in thought, but sat beside the lake anyway.

A moan shook Vik from his reverie. He climbed to his feet and knelt swiftly beside Lachlan. His face was contorted with pain, and he twitched slightly. Vik touched Lachlan's shoulder, and Lachlan moaned again. He screwed up his face, and started muttering quietly. Vik caught the words "Don't hurt him" and "No, leave him alone".

Vik shook Lachlan awake, and when Lachlan had focused his eyes, his mouth opened in surprise.

"You had a nightmare, didn't you?" Vik asked, still holding Lachlan's shoulders.

Lachlan nodded and clambered to his feet. When Lachlan stood up, he stumbled sideways into Vik and the older grabbed him around the waist. As soon as he realised how close their bodies were, he fought a blush and let go of Lachlan quickly.

"Are you alright?" Vik said to divert the attention onto Lachlan. 

Lachlan nodded again, and made his way to sit at the edge of the water. Vik followed slowly. The night passed without another word.

Oh feel our bodies grow

And our souls they play, yeah

Yeah love I hope you know

How much my heart depends, yeah.

The two boys had exchanged phone numbers and hadn't stopped exchanging messages back and forth. As the nights went by, Vik started to feel a feeling he had never experienced before. It sneaked up on him, with no warning. 

He was falling for Lachlan Power.

He began to love his moments spent with Lachlan by the river. Whenever he thought Lachlan wasn't looking, Vik glanced at him, trying to catch a glimpse of the beauty beside him.

He was happier than he had ever been in his life. For once, he had learnt what it felt like to love.

One night, Lachlan arrived as per usual. When he sat down though, he sat closer to Vik than he had ever sat. He sat so close that their fingertips nearly brushed one another's. Vik felt confusion then.

He went over and over the possibilities in his head. Did Lachlan sit closer to him because he was feeling particularly vulnerable? Or maybe, Vik swallowed thickly at the mere thought. Maybe Lachlan felt the same way about him as Vik felt about Lachlan.

No, Vik was most likely reading into the action far more than was necessary.

He tried to forget about it, but that night, Lachlan sat just as close as he had the other night.