THIRTY SEVEN

Maine

Lowla knows.  I thought, sighing.

How did she find out?  I was really excited to tell them, but now, after realizing that RJ's grandmother knows that I am pregnant, I feel embarrassed!

Embarrassed,  because Filipinos are known to be conservative when it comes to woman being pregnant before marriage.  They may think I am easy. 

Oh God! 

For sure everyone's is talking about me now.  I don't know how I am going to face RJ's family.  I am abashed by this whole situation.

A knock on the door startled me.

"Maine, apo."  Oh no!  It's lowla.  Maybe I should pretend to be in the bathroom and not answer her.

No Maine, don't be ridiculous!  The earlier you set things straight, the sooner you'll be done with it.  And I'm pretty sure RJ was the one who got the beating.  Hey! He was the one who got you pregnant!

"Apo?"  Lowla knocked on door again.

I got up from the edge of the bed and opened the door.

"Iha, are you okay?"  She asked me.

"Yes lowla,  I am fine po."  I tell her.

She takes my hand and covered it with another. 

"So you're pregnant?" 

Oh dear! Here goes.

"Yes pow, sorry."  I said,  lowering my eyes to the floor.

"Iha, why are you sorry?"  She asked, lifting my chin up so I am looking at her.

"Sorry because I got pregnant before marriage."  I said, lowering my eyes again.

Gosh!  Why do I feel so guilty all of a sudden? 

"Maine, don't be like this.  If you will be so affected of what other people will think about you,  you will never be happy.  And dapat di ba with news like this we should be happy and celebrating?

"I am happy pow lowla.  And I don't care what other people think, but I do care of what you and what the rest of the family may think of me. " I replied.

"Well I think, your pregnancy is good news.  I am so happy that you and RJ are going to be parents soon.  I think that you will be a great wife to RJ and a great mother to your kids.   That's what I think."  She tells me.

She walks to the sitting area of the suite, taking me with her.  She sat on the love seat and patted on the cushion beside her.  As soon as I sat down, she took my hand again and placed our hands on her knee.

"Apo, you are a blessing to RJ.  I have never seen him this happy.  You brought that smile to his face again.  Let me tell you this,  after his mom passed,  all he did is work.  He worked nonstop.  He lived on the idea that he has to work and be the famous actor he can so he can fulfill the dream his mom wanted for him.  And he did that, he even surpassed of what is expected of him.  He didn't fail his mom."