Chapter XLII: Jacob's Point of View

Start from the beginning

"But-"

I pressed my mouth against hers, tired of hearing her questions. I loved her. How else could I prove this to her? As she began to kiss me back, a little reluctant, I realized how long this had been. Too long. I had never been one of those guys, one like Paul. I had never needed the girlfriends or the contact that most of my friends had needed. But since the day that I had first kissed her, all I had craved was her. I wanted her all the time, it was almost painful.

"Bella-" she tried again. I kissed her again.

"She-" I could do this all day and not tire of it.

"If I wanted to date your sister," I said, taking a deep breath to regain control, "I would have done something like this for her. But I don't want to date your sister; I'm not sure if I ever wanted to." I had thought that I loved Bella, but even when I fantasized about what our lives could be like when we were married, I had never dreamed of dating her. I had never thought about the things that I could do for her. But Annie; I thought about little things for Annie all day long.

"I want to be with you. I want to be here with you." She smiled. "And maybe continue what we were doing without the talking."

"So Bella," she tried. I stared at her, ready to press my lips to hers again. "I was just going to ask if you felt anything." I just shook my head. "So we're-"

"Whatever you want us to be, Ryanne," I finished for her. I didn't want her to feel like she had to label us something that she wasn't ready for. "Although I'd like to think that being imprints is stronger than anything else." God I was turning into such a sap. But I just wanted her to believe me.

She threaded her fingers through my now short hair and dragged herself a little closer.

"I love you," she whispered just before she pressed her lips to mine. I had never felt so... I don't even know. My organs felt like they were on fire, but my skin felt like it was being electrocuted. The only thing I was capable of remembering was her. Maybe it was because she was finally accepting everything, but I couldn't believe what I was feeling. I tasted her, more than I ever have, mango swirling on my tongue and lips.

She slid her hands out of my hair, thumbs stroking across my jaw, stopping a few centimeters before my earlobe. She kissed me hard, her lips hungrier than mine had ever been. I could feel her practically growling into my mouth. So I answered her craving, my fingers burying themselves in the fabric of her jeans, feeling her soft skin beneath them. She pulled herself closer, the desire coursing through me almost painful.

A few moments later she pulled away, resting her forehead against mine.

"I love you too," I said, unable to believe that she had finally said it. It was different than it was before. Last time she'd said it, she had been crying and fighting me. This time, this was her admitting what I had hoped was true.

"And I'm glad you finally came to your senses." She beamed. "And just so you know, that was amazing." She blushed crimson and rolled off me, burrowing into my side.

She rested her head upon my chest, her attention back on the movie. I rested my head on the top of her straight hair and sighed, closing my eyes for just a brief moment.

•••

Something was reaching across, but I was acutely aware of Annie in my arms. I growled at the threat and wrapped my arms around Annie, holding her to my chest, where I could easily pick her up and run. I waited, but nothing happened.

"I mean, I know I'm not the greatest conversationalist, but I was pretty sure I could at least keep you awake," a beautiful voice said from my chest.