Chapter Twenty Two

"You can't fall back into the hole you were in because of this, okay? You're doing really well handling all of this." Dan said quietly while simultaneously running a hand through Cody's hair. The older of the two was lying on top of Dan, his face red and wet with tears. He sniffled, picking at a loose thread on the sheets below them.
"I know you don't want to talk about it, but I really think you should. Even just a little bit. I don't care if you tell me or Zach or anyone. Just... Try, okay?"
Cody nodded, "I will... Thanks, man..." He closed his eyes, nuzzling his head into Dan's chest.
"'Night, Code."
"Mm... 'Night, Danny."

Cody woke up to his phone ringing on the nightstand next to the bed. Rolling off of Dan and out of the other man's arms, he picked it up, squinting at the brightness. A familiar number shined back at him, and he answered it, groggily.
"Hello?"
"Cody, hey. I have good news."
"Wh-what?"
"We've received an anonymous tip that could lead us to Maxx's location. We're doing everything in our power to track him and Kerr down. If we do find anything, we'll let you know immediately."
"A-alright. Thank you so much." Cody grinned to himself, hanging up before placing the phone back on the table. Looking at the alarm clock, he noticed it was eight in the morning. Dan groaned from behind him, having woken up during Cody's conversation.
"Mm... Who was that?"
"Detective Swik. Said someone called them, and gave them a tip about Maxx... They're tracking down Austin right now..."
"Well, that's good. Least they have something now."
"Yeah..."
"This means he could still be alive."
"I hope..."
Dan smiled, hugging Cody. "Let's go get some breakfast."
"Can we go to Tim Horton's or something? I'm kind of bored of being cooped up in the house."
"Yeah. Just let me get changed real quick."
Cody nodded, watching as the other man dug around in his dresser drawers for clothes to wear before leaving the room. He stood up and opened his suitcase, searching through it to find the clothes he wanted.
Once he was dressed, he padded downstairs to the kitchen, wrapping his coat around himself. Dan followed soon after, and they made their way to the car before driving down the road.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Zach woke up on the ground, in a sleeping bag next to Jack. The sun was just beginning to rise over the hilly horizon, bringing a soft lighting to their spot overlooking the field below them. A lady bug crawled across his hand, and he screamed, thinking it was something much worse like a spider or a centipede. He shot out of the large, blue sleeping bag, swiping at his hand frantically.
"What's wrong? What happened?" Jack asked, panicking as he struggled to hurry out of the bag of fabric.
"A-a... There... There was a bug on me."
Jack looked at him strangely before laughing.
"You screamed like that over a bug?"
"It could'be been a tarantula... Or a scorpion!"
"There aren't any tarantulas around here, babe. Or scorpions..." He chuckled, walking towards him.
"Shut up." He pouted, crossing his arms across his chest. "I was scared..."
Jack smiled at him, wrapping his arms around the shorter man.
"You're okay, baby... How 'bout we get out of here and go get something to eat?"
Zach looked up at him, still pouting as he hugged him back.
"Yeah, okay. Sure..."
"I'm sorry I laughed at you, Zachy." He pressed his lips to Zach's forehead. The younger smiled, hugging him tighter before pulling away and kissing him.
"It's okay. Lets go get food. I'm starving."

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Yes, hi, I'd like to give some anonymous information regarding the Maxx Danziger case?" Alex answered the policewoman who had him wait a moment before having him continue.
"Alright, well, an old friend of mine invited me and a few other friends over to party in Atlanta, Georgia. We belive we may have seen him there."
"Do you have the address?" She asked.
"Not exactly. Our old friend drove us there. It's on the outskirts of the city. That's all I know location-wise. Also, the house was light blue with... Black window frames? And a brown roof. The porch, I think, was painted black? I'm not sure. It was pretty dark."
"Is that all you know?"
"From what I remember from that night. I was, uh, pretty drunk. Um, I think he was kept in the basement. Like, locked down there as some kind of slave or something?"
"What was the name of the host of the party?"
"Um, Austin. I don't know his last name."
"I think it's, like, Kenn or something." Vic chipped in, and Alex repeated the information to the cop.
"Is that it?" She asked.
"Yes."
"Alright. Thank you for the information, sir."
"It was no problem. I just want Maxx to be safe. He was close to a friend I met a while back."
They said their goodbyes, and Alex hung up.
"So?" Oscar asked.
"They're going to look into it."
"Thank god. I feel so terrible. I didn't even think to put the pieces together..." Oli pulled at the sleeves of his hoodie guiltily.
"Hopefully, he'll be alright..."

A/N - Guess who's refusing to go to school because he's mentally unstable???! This guy!
Seriously tho, please, kill me.