Chapter 8 ~ The Unexpected

Comincia dall'inizio

    ''Come cover me, hide me, heal me! Hear my cries in the middle of this night!''

    I couldn't hold on too long so everything disappeared, left me alone. I relaxed for a moment and closed my eyes.

    ''Hello my dear, are you lost?''

    A Gwyllion. They were female spirits according to myths, very ugly ones, who loved to play with lost travelers, frighten them. You could recognize them by their gray or black clothes and a hat. I pulled out my knife and held it pointed to her ugly face because it was the only thing that scared them.

    ''Leave.''

    My tone was cool and powerful but she just laughed.

    ''I am not like other Gwyllions, knife flash doesn't bother me. My queen is coming here so if you don't want to get hurt, get out of here.''

    This is also my land. They think the whole Earth is theirs. Well, it is not!

    ''This is not your land. You are not welcomed here.''

    Now she looked furious.

    ''You are not welcomed either, Whisper Witch! Be careful, you became our enemy!''

    This is not good. Not good at all. I nodded and she left.

    I opened my book again, preparing for the strongest and the last spell. Killing spell. I didn't want to kill anybody, not even an animal so I decided to practise on flowers, according to my book flowers had a soul and a life, so I picked one and whispered my spell. The flower didn't respond. I tried again, focusing on the words. My magic flew above my head. It looked like massive purple ball, covered with black dots. Magic sparkled and flew again, this time behind trees. A woman screamed. 

    I hid behind bushes. My Spell book was on the ground, forgotten, but I couldn't risk it. Going there would expose me.

    ''My queen! Who did this to You! We swear it will pay!''

    Several frantic voices echoed. Gwyllions. They came closer, dragging a body with them. One of the spirits knelt next to the body, crying.

    She turned her head, noticing my Spell book. 

    ''The Witch did it! She was here, I thought I had frightened her so she left!''

    ''If you are here, Witch, hear me! This means war, no witch will be spared!''

    A war? I caused a war? No! I ran through the forest, not bothering about stumbling. My knees gave up  and I fell on the dirt. Hours passed and I gave up, slumping into unconsciousness. Just when I thought I will freeze to death, somebody came and knelt beside me.

    Strong arms picked me up and a male voice whispered in my ear: ''You are safe.''

                                                           ***
    ''Wake up or I swear, I'll throw you in the river!''

   Someone shouted directly in my ear, jolting me awake. Seconds passed as I somehow managed to sit up and open my eyes, noticing worried Christian who hovered above me. He pinched me on the cheek, chuckling when I slapped his hand away.

    ''I'm awake, all right?''

    Christian threw himself on his bed, next to me. I almost bounced at the impact he created but his arm tightly kept me in place.