Chapter 18

Jack stayed up all night with a gun pointed at me, and it bothered me so much, that I barely even noticed that my head wasn't hurting, I wasn't turning grey, and it was over 24 hours. Which if you don't know, the first two are symptoms, and the last is, well, your final moments on earth.

I've seen this happen before. People normally turn in about 24 hours or less, never more. My best friend turned right before my eyes, and I was lucky enough to escape without a scratch.

My best friend.

Her name was Zoey. She was either 6 or 7, she couldn't really remember. She always wore a ponytail in her hair, and always wore this necklace that had a crescent moon with designed flowers and vines on it. Her mother gave it to her when she was little. Her mom died in the apocalypse, and Zoey swore on her own life she would set things right. Thats when I found her in a building about to go up in flames. We were best friends after that, me, Max, and Zoe. She was the nicest little thing, always smiling, always finding the bright side in everything.

But she was too nice.

She saw a walker one day walking out on the field by itself. It was behind a weak fence she put up made of wires. I wasn't there to watch her, I took a nap and she managed to slip away from me.

She saw this monstrosity and felt bad. She wished it didn't have to be this way, that she didn't have to kill them.

She believed they were still human. That they were sane. That they wouldn't hurt her.

She was wrong.

She hoped. She had so much faith, that this Walker wouldn't be like the rest, but in the end, the walker broke through the wires and tore into her stomach.

I was already on my way.

I remember her scream, her chilling scream that destroyed my insides. I remember my scream. I remember the other walkers who ran through the field. All of their twisted, sick, demolished faces.

I stabbed that walker. The stomach. The neck. The hand. And at last, the brain. I remember the exact count of stab wounds. Two in the hand, one in the neck, one in the brain, and afterwards, thirty seven stab wounds to the stomach.

I shot her in the head. I gave my own friend mercy, and ran, like a coward. Ran while tears fell. Ran while those creatures chased me, when really, i should've stayed, fought, and buried her. Max made it out as well, and he even seemed distant from me for at least a month.

In that scenario, she had less than 24 hours. But once, I offered this man shelter, and apparently he was hiding a bite mark the whole time. He turned while we were hunting, and I killed him. And it only took him 24 hours.

Why aren't I dead yet? I asked myself in my head. Maybe it hasn't been 24 hours yet...

Turns out I was wrong.

The sun rose, and everyone began to wake up. Jack stared at me.

Then he smiled. Then he stares at me, confused.

"It can't be.." he whispered.

"No...(y/n), Your immune!!" He yelled.

"SHHH quite Jack, you're gonna-"

Too late.

"What?" Mark asked from the front seat. He leaned closer. "You're what?" He asked again.

"Mark... she's immune to the bite..." Jack said.

"Whoa whoa whoa, you had a bite and didn't tell us?!" He asked angrily.

"It doesn't matter! She's immune Mark, she's immune to the bite!" Jack yelled out.

"We don't know that." Mark said.

"Look at her Mark! Does she look like one of them?" Jack asked. Mark looked on the verge of tears.

"Is he lying (y/n)? Please tell me. Please." He said. I watched a tear go down his hairy cheek.

"I-I don't know.." I said, and that wasn't a lie. I really didn't know.

"Show me the bite." He said.

I showed him the bite. I noticed that the walkers bite definitely cut the skin, so I should have died..

"What?" He asked. "How?" He then asked, excited this time.

"She's not going to die!!" Jack yelled again.

Mark laughed excitedly, tears running down his face.

"You're immune!! You're immune!!" Mark screamed while hugging me.

Which woke up the child.

Another chapter coming soon!!