Chapter 16

Your POV

I woke up in a strange room, but it was strangely comfortable, like I belonged there. It was moving, and I seemed to be sitting on leather. I noticed people around me, and a sound that I've definitely heard before..

Wait... this is a car!

"W-wh- what the hell-" I tried to say, but Jack quieted me.

I noticed we were in a van. Jack sat beside me, Max pawed at my sides, Mark was driving with Chica in his lap, Dan and Phil were in the back, along with a new chick, that I didn't notice before.

"Who's that?" I stuttered. Jack put a finger to his lips, signaling me to be quiet.

I tried to move my arm. It hurt, but not so bad that it would make me scream.

"Is he gonna be alright? Tell me!" I heard Dan scream at the woman. She had sweat running down her forehead, and I could tell she's been working hard.

Phil was out bleeding all over the floor of the van. If I knew anything about how to cure people, I would definitely help. But alas, I may or may not have skipped that one day in school that was really important.

"I'll be fine..." Phil muttered. He was tired and In pain. I could tell by the way his voice cracked.

His sides were beaten so badly, they drew blood. And his eye was bashed in. He was losing way more blood than the average human needs.

"Phil! Don't leave Phil! I need you!" Dan started to cry.

"Stay with me!" The girl shouted.

Three hours later

Phil passed out from the pain. They managed to stop the bleeding, but the pain drove him close to insanity. There was screams, tears, and blood, flowing through the van. Until he passed out. That's when everything became quiet.

"Your friend might live, but chances of that are low." She told Dan. He began to sob once more.

Then she began to look around, and we made eye contact.

"Oh! You're finally awake! I don't believe we've been properly acquainted... my name is Rosanna Pansino. You can just call me Roe. And you are?"

"Living. She's living." Mark stated from the front seat. I could tell he didn't trust her.

Max jumped into the passenger seat, and Chica hopped over with him.

"I'm (y/n), nice to meet you." I said. I didn't stick my arm out, that would be stupid, and painful.  

"Alright..." she said quietly.

That's when the radio turned on. And if you don't know why that's so surprising, then something's messed up in your brain.

It's the apocalypse dammit. Radios aren't supposed to work, and they can't do that anymore anyways.

*static..* *static..*

Mark kept his eyes on the road, but I could tell he was interested.

"Hel-*static*-lo.... Hello? Is-*static*- it working?" Said a person on the radio. He
surprisingly sounded like a child.

"Please, if you're-*static*-listening to this, I'm-*static*-in the gas station nearby. Please, if you- Oh no, they're-*static*-closing in on me! HELP!!" The voice said, then it screamed. At this point, we knew that it was male.

And a child.

"Mark, we have to help him." I said.

"No. You're hurt. We can't risk going." He said, keeping his eyes on the road, as if trying not to make contact with me.

"Mark, no." I said.

"Nobody else is getting hurt today. Not on my watch, anyways." He replied, challenging me.

"Well guess what? That CHILD will be way more than hurt if we don't help him. Hear the key word? CHILD?!" I said, challenging him back.

He stared at the road, silent.

"I don't want you to die, and you're not going to. I love you too much." He said. I waited for him to say more, but he fell silent once again.

"Mark. We are going. I will physically force you if I have too. This is a child we are talking about." I said.

"And by physically force me you mean... what? You couldn't even get out of my grip when we first met." He said. He was getting on my nerves at this point.

"I mean, I will drag my happy little self out of this van, with my dog, injured arm, and weapons, and go say hi to the dead. I'm helping that child, with or without you." I said. I decided threats would work best, since asking him wouldn't work. He's sweet and all, worrying about me, but I don't need him to kiss my ass 24/7.

The car came to a stop, and Mark heavily sighed.

"Roe, can you track down the child from here?" He asked.

"Uhh...nooo, but he said he was at the gas station nearby." She said.

"Well do you have directions?" He asked, getting impatient.

"Calm down Mark." Jack said.

"Look, just take a left and go straight until you see a billboard. Then take another left, and you'll see it."

A couple minutes later, a large billboard appeared, and we heard screaming already. We took a left, and immediately regretted it.

At least 6 dozen walkers were clawing at a car, more piling in towards it.

Mark began to put the van in reverse, but I put my hand on his shoulder. He looked at me.

"We. Are. Helping." I said, looking directly in his chocolate eyes.

Then he kissed me. It lasted for about three seconds, and then he pulled back.

"Promise me. Promise me now that you won't end up like them." He said, pointing towards the walkers trying to get to the child in the car.

"I promise." I said. Then he went outside, and climbed on top of the van. Me, Jack, and Roe followed.

"Hey! Over here!" Mark screamed, and they all stopped what they were doing, and wobbled towards the van.